Python water waste during water changes

Nana Finopolis

So, I'm feeling a little guilty with the water I'm wasting when doing my water changes using my Python. I've tried using gravity and putting the end outside but I don't get the same suction power. I've been considering using a pump but you can't gravel vac with it. I thought I might manually gravel vac into a bucket or garbage can and pump it out of there. Any other suggestions I'm not thinking about? For those that use pumps, what specific pump do you use?

@Nana Finopolis I don’t have a solution but I have a python. In there videos I feel like they talked about how there isn’t that much excess water loss when you leave your sink running.l, but have not tested this. Once I get a syphon going I just turn the sink off. I have never gotten much suction either way. I have stopped gravel vacuuming very much at all and use a smaller caliber aqueon gravel vac to do areas I need to. Mostly along the glass where you can see it. I wish python made a smaller diameter end to help with just this problem. 

• Like 1

I'm the same way with not wanting to waste water. I even stopped using the plastic T that you use to connect to the faucet since mine started leaking. I still connect the hose to my faucet but I use a brass quick connect directly to fill my tanks.IMG_1307.jpeg.8ec8475b33bdc8656338fd2fe8c86e9f.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg.c5529f352e6a21d3676f581151e22787.jpeg

As for draining my tank I use a 1/2 HP transfer pump that I connect a garden hose to the output leading out the house to water my lawn/garden. Even with a 50 ft hose its still strong enough to push 40 gallons out in around 5-10 minutes. The pump stays outside of the tank and I prime the motor by filling the python hose with water before turning it on. I plug the motor to a Kasa wifi timer so I have an easy on/off switch close by.

IMG_1312.jpg.72e9026c9374f90ba015e9a622e4dba4.jpg

Since the water pumps pretty fast I have a metal screen that conveniently fits into the gravel vac so that way If I'm not paying attention I don't suck up any fish. I can only gravel vac thick carpets with this though, anything else would be torn out the substrate. For areas I can't really get close with the gravel vac I use a turkey baster to disturb the top layer substrate and pull the mulm out while the pump is running.

IMG_1310.jpg.5571d6f92eb65b6c17de2ba547def6de.jpg

If you keep smaller tanks this might not really work for you though and it is a little pricey. But for the time I save on my bigger tank, It's well worth the investment. When I like to do more detail work I connect the gravel vac with the 10 foot hose attachment and do a regular siphon straight into a bucket. The shorter the hose you have the more siphon pressure. Also my tank is 2 ft above the ground so gravity does most of the work for me as far as speed goes.

Siphoning directly to a trash can with a pump inside is a fast way too. But if you don't want to allocate a trash can just for water changes you can gravel vac in portions. If I don't feel like hauling buckets I just gravel vac enough for one bucket and then pump the rest of the water out. And on my next water change I gravel vac a different area.

IMG_1306.jpeg

• Thanks 1