Stupid tank cleaning question

YIACrazy

I have a tank I put just a little too close to the floor. I was using gravel vac with a thumb pump to clean it as gravity was not gonna help. It was poorly made and the seal broke making it pointless. Tried another, same issue. I imagine in the spring I can run a hose out of the back door, but until then, can anyone suggest a pump or electric gravel vac? All I can find is something that collects mulm and such, but doesn't actually change water. I can attach a pump to a hose, but then, all the ick I'm vaccuming up would travel through the pump.

Thanks.

For my 75 gallon tank I use a Python system with a faucet attachment for draining, and filling with a 20 feet extension hose. For refilling the tank my wife came up with a clever trick to prevent the soil from getting blown around that beats George Farmer's red colander to pieces, we use one of her old short nylon stockings and attach it to the mulm bell with a rubber band and the fresh water doesn't stir a thing except the Seachem Prime I add beforehand. I adjust the water temperature before filling by using an electronic thermometer while keeping the system on drain, after the temperature matches the tank's I switch the attachment to fill. I highly recommend to get the quick disconnect adapter for the faucet. Another little tip once you're done using it it's easier to get the hose dry if you hold up the bell and and place the system on drain again for a moment as it will effectively suck the majority of the remaining water out of the hose so it's easier to store again.

• Like 2

Love so many things in here. Thanks so much for sharing! I wish that there was a way to connect the smaller pythons to the faucet. I heard that once you get the suction going, you can choose how fast the water drains. Not sure about it on this tank, but the nano size python would be perfect, but from my research, there is no adapter to go from the thinner hose to the thicker system. If anyone knows anything different....please let me know. Also. Nylon Stockings?! Brilliant for so many things!

In my 60g, I have (pool filter) sand instead of gravel. Nothing gets down under (like with gravel) so there's no gravel vacuuming - I haven't touched the sand in 10 years! I use an inexpensive EcoPlus 396 submersible pump for water changes. Faster and more efficient for water changes than siphoning. The pump is hooked to Python like hose with quick disconnects. In some cases (basement tanks), I use the same pump type to refill from a 45g brute trash can. For the 60g, I use a sink faucet adapter (again w/ quick disconnects) to the same Python like hose. 🙂

Edit Note: The EchoPlus 396 has a 6 foot pump height limit, but this is more than enough to pump from floor to sink level!

Edited by MJV Aquatics
update

I'm using a Hygger 12V DC Powered Electric Aquarium Gravel Vacuum Cleaner Kit Sand Washer Gravel Cleaning Tools Water Change for Fish Tank (got it on Amazon).  I don't use the vacuum attachment, mostly it's just to suck out water from the tank or from a bucket to refill the tank.  I'm hoping that I can fit it with a different hose so I can run it from a sink to the tank (about 20 feet away) so I can stop lugging buckets to refill the tank.  Not sure if the pump will be strong enough to pump that far; we'll see.

I used to use the Python system that you  hook up to a faucet but I always felt bad about the water wasted on the removal process.  It's a lifesaver for refilling, though.