Aquatic Acronyms - TLAs for Days!

Betsy

I made up my own for identifying my outlets. HALF - heater, air pump, light and filter so I always put the plugs in this order.  Yes, I could label them but what's the fun in that? 

What term is used for a significant other/family member/friend that usually has a quizzical look on their face when you just spent 3 hours watching Cory talk about, well, anything?  Since I got "serious" about my aquarium just a few weeks ago, I have a lot of catching up to do!

Happiest of days to all. JO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It is not an acronym, but I learned a new word today that I look forward to using. Of course I know what an anecdote is, and I have made anecdotal statements. However, there is also anecdata!

an·ec·da·ta
/ˈanəkˌdadə,ˈanəkˌdādə/

noun

1. information or evidence that is based on personal experience or observation rather than systematic research or analysis.
    "this is just anecdata, so I was pleased to find a paper that adds some rigor to my reflections"
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

It is not an acronym, but I learned a new word today that I look forward to using. Of course I know what an anecdote is, and I have made anecdotal statements. However, there is also anecdata!

an·ec·da·ta
/ˈanəkˌdadə,ˈanəkˌdādə/

noun

1. information or evidence that is based on personal experience or observation rather than systematic research or analysis.
    "this is just anecdata, so I was pleased to find a paper that adds some rigor to my reflections"

Edited by Anita
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Somehow after watching the clip above the YouTube algorithm suggests Richard Feynman explaining what 'why' means:

image.png.3877f20846c485ce0b4b2147b19771a8.png

As Emil says "I like it!" **Warning**  Do not ask Richard Feynman 'why' you can't grow plants in your 60 gallon aquarium.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 5:27 AM, JettsPapa said:

RCS - red cherry shrimp

True.  But, it IS rather funny, when I think about it - 2 red descriptions in one name for one type of neocaridina shrimp! 😄 

• Like 1

Saw a new one for me the other day.

BDBS

Black Diamond Blasting Sand - brand name in the USA for coal slag (by product of metal smelting) made/sorted into various grit sizes for a sand blasting media.  It is inert and once washed of any residual oils (usually fairly minimal), it is safe for aquarium use.  Most use medium grit, AKA 2040, AKA “the blue bag” - black and grey bag with blue marker patch on the top. Sorry, but the stupid pic will not load in the correct orientation.  Right side is clearly the top of the pic.

7049E88C-F7DE-485E-8DF8-B8489F182414.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, Odd Duck said:

Saw a new one for me the other day.

BDBS

Black Diamond Blasting Sand - brand name in the USA for coal slag (by product of metal smelting) made/sorted into various grit sizes for a sand blasting media.  It is inert and once washed of any residual oils (usually fairly minimal), it is safe for aquarium use.  Most use medium grit, AKA 2040, AKA “the blue bag” - black and grey bag with blue marker patch on the top. Sorry, but the stupid pic will not load in the correct orientation.  Right side is clearly the top of the pic.

7049E88C-F7DE-485E-8DF8-B8489F182414.jpeg

"Right side is clearly the top" 

I am so relieved to not be the only one dealing with tech issues today. I cheat on washing this... I literally just put it in the tank and let the snd clean itself for a week, drained and refilled. Cheapest, easiest, and most reliable sand substrate I have found so far. Also works nicely (after using it in a tank for a while) in various soil mixtures to offset coconoir.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, Daniel said:

Saw SAP for South American Puffer in a title on the forum today, that was new to me. I hope people new to the forum won't feel like there is a special language here.

I do call this Nermlandia for a reason! And that's okay. ❤️ We all get to learn new things from each other, it's appropriate for communities to evolve their own language and shorthand.

I guess this is the 21st century equivalency to various college towns developing their own CallBacks for RHPS in the 70's and 80's.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:49 PM, Torrey said:

"Right side is clearly the top" 

I am so relieved to not be the only one dealing with tech issues today. I cheat on washing this... I literally just put it in the tank and let the snd clean itself for a week, drained and refilled. Cheapest, easiest, and most reliable sand substrate I have found so far. Also works nicely (after using it in a tank for a while) in various soil mixtures to offset coconoir.

I have seen it produce more oil residue than I’m comfortable putting into a tank, so I rinse.  I dump half a bag into a bucket that’s about 3 gallons (or 5 gallons is fine), turn the hose up fairly high and shove it in, swirl it around until it the water runs clear, then dump out the water and repeat to make sure.  I do the same thing with the rest of the sand directly in the bag.  Done in 10-15 minutes or less.  Takes even less time for pool sand since it comes very clean and no oil residue at all, just a little dust.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

I have seen it produce more oil residue than I’m comfortable putting into a tank, so I rinse.  I dump half a bag into a bucket that’s about 3 gallons (or 5 gallons is fine), turn the hose up fairly high and shove it in, swirl it around until it the water runs clear, then dump out the water and repeat to make sure.  I do the same thing with the rest of the sand directly in the bag.  Done in 10-15 minutes or less.  Takes even less time for pool sand since it comes very clean and no oil residue at all, just a little dust.

If I still lived in a home, instead of an apartment, I would still go that route... maybe. I found that running full air from underneath the sand (the long, BIG airstones) for 24 hours when I was setting up the Walstad inspired tank and then turning it off and skimming everything off the top was really effective, and no risk of sand going down the pipes and causing problems. I did drain a fair amount of water over the course of the week, until the glass no longer had any film on it either. Then I drained and scaped.

Which actually was the perfect pace for my fibro, so maybe I wouldn't change my method in a house?

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jane Orr said:

I made up my own for identifying my outlets. HALF - heater, air pump, light and filter so I always put the plugs in this order.  Yes, I could label them but what's the fun in that? 

What term is used for a significant other/family member/friend that usually has a quizzical look on their face when you just spent 3 hours watching Cory talk about, well, anything?  Since I got "serious" about my aquarium just a few weeks ago, I have a lot of catching up to do!

Happiest of days to all. JO

Hi Jane. I happen to know a person named Jane Orr from Ohio. About fifty some years ago we crashed her dad's small tractor into a dwarf apple tree...crazy kids. Are you that person?

Edited by isaly