cacatuoides double red is this normal behaviour?

Nathan

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a breeding pair of cacatuoides double red Male/Female they are in there own tank with almond leaves coconut shell aqua soil and bubble filter aquatic plants. The first week I had them they spawned which was amazing I was told to remove the male to allow the female to look after the eggs and fry . The next couple of days the female had seemed to eat the eggs I don’t know if they where fertilised or just not the best as this is there very first time spawning and are still learning the ropes. So I decided to re add the male but I have noticed that the male keeps nipping at the female and hunting for her in the aquarium also has gone a dark black colouration but the fins and tail are bright red. I haven’t done anything different doing weekly water changes of 25% feeding daily to once every other day with brine shrimp/blood worm/dafnia/ flake food. The female is a bright yellow colour. I’m just curious on why the male is acting the way he is the temperature of the tank has not changed hitting around 27’c.

any help would be much appreciated 

Edited by Nathan

Hi joe,

Thankyou for replying to my enquiry 

the female seems to be doing fine but the male keeps hovering around her and keeps side turning and going for her even hunting to see where she is in the tank so I am abit worried that he maybe his stressing her out but she’s eating well not leaving any food and is a fast swimmer 

I have attached a video of what I walked into yesturday this is the first time I have seen them do this and haven’t seen them do it since .. 

Edited by Nathan

okay that's a good video to start with. so first there is not enough line of sight break for them so i would get something like a planting pot break a small section off and put it in the corner. so there is a line of sight break. or get some rocks and put them in the middle. the next thing i would do is get a apisto cave from the coop website and slightly bury the cave where there is some substrate in the entrance. so if she really wants to get away she can build up the wall in the entrance so only she can get in and out. so now you have multiple cave choices for breeding and several line of sight breaks. I would not worry about them doing what they are doing in the video until you actually see damage on her fins. I did not personally see him doing anything harming her i seen him nudge her not bite to cause her to not swim anymore. its almost to where she is giving herself up to him. I have one more question do you know the ph in that tank?

Hi

Thankyou for your recommendations 

there is a coconut cave in the aquarium so should I fill the hole with the substrate also there’s 2x almond leaves at the bottom of the tank with plants at the back I can add a small piece of dragon stone that I have left over from my other scape. The ph of my tank is 6.8 

and that’s a relief as didn’t want the male to be showing any signs of stress also or deterioration since adding him back into the tank 

Hi Colu,

Thankyou for your message,

I have had so many comments from others on different forms saying so many different stuff regarding the behaviour of the male/female double red and I have now taken out the male to allow the female to rest before I loose her as many people have told me that this may happen but give it another week before adding the male back in to the tank and go from there I have add more almond leaves into the set up also a pice of dragon stone to block any views when the male is back in. Any advice on what to do now as the male is now starting to de colour from a deep black to back to his normal colouration. The female is still a deep yellow colour. I can add photos of the female tank if needed