27 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Floating Plant

• Amazon Frogbit
    • Moss
    • Hornwort
    • Redroot floaters
    • Salvinia
    • Duckweed

I haven't had any experience with any of these (lol) but I really like water sprite. I also noticed the top part of a Pogostemon stellatus floating around growing roots. Honestly I really like the look of it and want to see it progress., it seems kind of like a mini water lettuce with thiner leaves floating around. Bit more of just a personal observation but the stem plants I've kept all seem to grow floating quite well.

My favorite floating plant of all time is probably dwarf water lettuce, although I have recently been LOVING najas grass/guppy grass. Love it. 

So of course neither was in the poll options. 😄

• Haha 1

Water lettuce of what I've kept, but I'm looking for red root floaters to try those too. Just got my first azolla. And I'm appreciating duckweed more and more these days since I grew too many nitrates in my quarantine tank. My chickens love the excess.

• Like 1

For appearance, Hornwort is my first choice.  After the Hornwort apocalypse, the Anacharis that was supposed to be a background plant has become an unintentional floater and runner up.  The Anacharis  also has some obvious visual differences as it grows that the Hornwort seems to lack.

I would have chosen hornwort, but all the needles fell off mine except for a giant ball at the top. I guess leaving it floating is the key (or one key) to preventing that. Goliad Farms has some real good-looking hornwort.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, OceanTruth said:

I’ve been growing azolla lately and they are kind of growing on me as well.

Maybe you need to get them off you! 😁

Seriously, though, I just learned about this plant. It's so pretty. I have binged on watching Foo the Flowerhorn on yootoobles, and that person has it growing. Common name is mosquito fern, right? The shrimp ate all of it, leaving only duckweed, that mysteriously showed up uninvited.

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2021 at 2:14 PM, skipper said:

I chose hornwort, learned about it from Charles at Goliad Farms. (If he’s a fan, I’m a fan 😂). But I am scared of what may come of the sparse amount I set loose in my tank...

If it likes you, it won't be sparse for long!