Capping substrates

Yet another question from yours truly. 

My new tank (33 gal) has 20 lbs of eco complete substrate, driftwood and rocks. The substrate is 2"+ deep, however I would like to build some more depth in some areas for a more natural underwater look. I'm considering these options:

1) Just add more eco-complete. The only reason I am not just doing this is because I find it a little "sharp" and may eventually want to add some corydoras or other bottom-dwellers. 

2) Cap with sand. This would add some different texture but I'm not sure about vacuuming. I have heard it is easier to plant in sand and maybe easier for roots to grow through, but would it negatively affect the eco-complete? I'm sure the bottom dwellers would be more comfortable.

3) Add a mineral rich volcanic soil like Fluval's plant and shrimp stratum. It looks to be more rounded than the eco-complete. I would put this where I plan to plant Amazon swords which I understand are heavy root feeders.

What would you do? I'm also open to other suggestions.

ETA: My water is on the higher pH side (ranges from 7.8 - 8.0 so substrates that claim to lower pH wouldn't be a bad thing).

Edited by Kalita

The middle tank is capped with Black Diamond Blasting Sand over dirt and has had excellent plant growth.

1898166586_13Dec2020.PNG.15ef5729cd6dc5a

The tank on the left has CaribSea 'Peace River Sand', the tank on the right has EcoComplete. I don't think the Black Diamond Blasting Sand would affect the EcoComplete (EcoComplete doesn't do that much anyway).

I would likely go with Black Diamond Blasting Sand for aesthetic and financial reasons. I bought theBlack Diamond Blasting Sand bag locally at Tractor Supply for $10.

• Like 2

If you’re only going to add on in certain areas, then most people would just add the same eco-complete for uniformity sake. Some people say eco-complete “harms” bottom dwellers, because it’s “sharp.” The same amount of people also say that’s a myth. Cory filmed some substrate where some corydoras are native to and it looked a whole lot sharper and rougher than eco-complete. So I’m of the opinion that they’re just fine on it.

Personally I would add some aqua soil, because I’m ok with the look of “mismatched” substrate. Plus, if I add in enough plants, you barely notice what the substrate is anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies guys! I do plan on planting quite heavily so any mismatch probably won't be too noticeable. I may buy a some more Eco-complete to add to the right side and back of the tank. There is a window to the right and I think having a hill there would help block out excess light from the window (although I've never really had any issues from it). I'll transplant the scarlet temples to the left and have a more open swimming area there. I'll remove the fake rock in front of the sponge filter. I left in because it was from an established tank and I hoped it would help kick start the cycle. 

tank march 6 2021.jpg

• Like 1

Decided on an 8.8 lb bag for Fluval stratum. Will be adding some to the back right where I plan on putting some swords. Hoping it will help buffer pH down a bit. Right now it's sitting at 7.8. Tap water is ranges about 7.8-8.0 so would be great if I could lower it a bit. I've also ordered some more plants and plan to add RCS when tank has cycled and stabilized.  I think the colours will match well. I spent quite some time today picking out light purple gravel 🤪

March 7 2021.jpg

• Like 1

Whatever you do, I am sure it will look great.   I have used eco and fluval brand and mixed with just regular river gravel.   I can tell you after one gravel vac they all look the same.    
thanks for sharing.    Look amazing 

• Like 1

My go to substrate mix that I use in planted tanks is 75% eco-complete and 25% Fluval stratum. In a couple tanks, I have put some small pea gravel on top if I didn't want to dark color substrate over the entire tank. But, after a while, it kind of all gets mixed together, but still looks good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

My go to substrate mix that I use in planted tanks is 75% eco-complete and 25% Fluval stratum.

I guess I have stumbled upon your magical mix, as it is what I'm going to end up with! 😄

My root tabs are arriving today too. I already have Easy Green but haven't been dosing much because it's such a new tank. Nitrites and nitrates (40-80 ppm) are already high, even after 25-30% water change yesterday. Ammonia is 0.25ppm. I'm still ghost feeding every 2-3 days. 

• 3 weeks later...

I recently changed to sandblasting sand and I'm loving it, I had regular flourite before and I capped with the black sand in my 90g. My plants where not doing ok, anubias not looking good and my amazon swords were all bad, so I had to redo my tank. 

20210325_211750.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:30 PM, Daniel said:

I would likely go with Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Would this work for capping Fluval Stratum? I'm having the same considerations as the OP - I want to use Stratum for plants with sand for bottom dwellers but I'm not sure if the sand would fall through the Stratum.

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, Kalita said:

I guess I have stumbled upon your magical mix, as it is what I'm going to end up with! 😄

My root tabs are arriving today too. I already have Easy Green but haven't been dosing much because it's such a new tank. Nitrites and nitrates (40-80 ppm) are already high, even after 25-30% water change yesterday. Ammonia is 0.25ppm. I'm still ghost feeding every 2-3 days. 

How did that mix work out for you? I'm also thinking about doing it in my tank.