Male? Female? Flame Dwarf Gourami

CA Dad

Males? Females?  One of each? Of the many persons I have asked online, some are certain they are both females, and the others are certain that they are both males. I have researched this EXHAUSTIVELY and remain uncertain. I am hoping to find an expert that can tell me their sexes with absolute certainty. 

FA6B3C7C-C9E9-4463-9BA8-B1C06A493464.jpeg

C7FA62E0-2980-4616-8607-50194270BB65.jpeg

The second one seems to have a pointier Dorsal fin. maybe a few more pictures to show their size compared to something else or each other. Is one much rounder? I had some of these but the male had a very pointy dorsal fin.

...Google quote ...

Male Gouramis are usually a bit smaller than the females and are slimmer in overall girth. Females have a rounded belly compared to the males. ... The dorsal fin of the female is short and rounded, while the male has a longer dorsal fin that comes to a point

My guess would also be male + female, but honestly the best way to tell is probably going to be based on their behavior. They certainly know their genders! Do you have them in the same tank? How do they interact? If they’ve kind of each chosen a territory within the tank (for instance, on either side of a central plant) then they’re probably both male or both female. If one goes into the other’s territory, you’ll see it get quickly chased away. If one is always gently following the other, feeling with its feelers (think a middle schooler following a crush around going, poke poke poke poke), then the follower is a male and his crush is the female. The female will poke back sometimes too!

Of course if anyone makes a bubble nest, that will be a male.

This holds true for honey gouramis at least. Let us know what behavior you see!

• Like 1

The gourami that looks more female acts tough around the gourami that looks more male. They hang out a little, but then “she” harasses him and chases him away. Neither fish seems to control a set portion of the tank.  

Found these images online of a male and of a female for sale. 

F0C52C04-B444-4380-B574-CC654EABBCAB.jpeg

7399FF9A-FA12-434E-924E-3400C75CE854.jpeg

11 minutes ago, CA Dad said:

The gourami that looks more female acts tough around the gourami that looks more male. They hang out a little, but then “she” harasses him and chases him away. Neither fish seems to control a set portion of the tank.  

Found these images online of a male and of a female for sale. 

F0C52C04-B444-4380-B574-CC654EABBCAB.jpeg

7399FF9A-FA12-434E-924E-3400C75CE854.jpeg

They are a different breed

@CA Dad It sounds to me like you have a pair! In my pair, Mom Fish is the boss UNTIL there are eggs to protect, and then Dad Fish gets very very cranky. So my guess would be the one that’s doing the chasing at this point is the female. But the real test will be if someone makes a bubble nest. I’m not sure how old they have to be to do that though. Are these youngsters? And are there low flow spots at the surface of their water?

They probably are not too old. I got them for a local aquarium store a couple of weeks ago. I am heavily filtering the aquarium right now. The sponge filter and an air stone are keeping the surface covered in bubbles, and two HOB filters keep the water flowing swiftly. I am going to slow things down soon. I just ramped up the filtration to prep media so I can cycle a new tank, and to accommodate the addition of more fish to this tank. 

Sounds like your gourami are behaving like mine. 

I just got another large order of plants from Aquarium Co-Op, which will  real up the territories and add even more places for the fish to create personal space. 

• Like 1