Easy Home Water Sediment Filter ​ 💧💧   ​

Living in a rural area often times means have a drilled well for home ground water.

The 'water well' that we have is fairly deep, but the water itself contains A LOT of sediment, on a consistent basis.

A filter such as this helps considerably (sold by many companies in various designs).  It doesn't soften water, but acts to remove the larger particles.

The cartridge filters that I like to use have a 5 MICRON rating.  It does a great job in catching the debris down to the nominal 5 micron rating, for general use.

Note:  There are filters of this physical size that have 1 MICRON ratings or even smaller (dependent on your particular application & requirements).

The filter assembly in the basement

IMG_0745.JPG.94a38138b80825fa787ed771feafd5c6.JPG

Removable housing for easy cleaning and cartridge replacement

IMG_0741.JPG.f55e30f868f3b1b562830752d2e7604e.JPG

The cartridges themselves are about 10" long by 2.5" wide and come in a number of micron ratings & materials.  We like the thermally bonded polypropylene & string filter configurations.

IMG_0748.JPG.fa5b0c56f35348667c2a289e34a9dde6.JPG

As you can see, even after a short time of use, it caught a lot of sediment quickly.  The below picture is about after 3 weeks worth of normal use at our location. 

IMG_0738.JPG.393bacee318d6ecabcfe1af4576bf494.JPG

Wow! That is an incredible amount of sediment! I can see why you'd want the filters for your home as well as for your tanks. Do you use this same filter for both, or only use water that is in the home and therefore already filtered?

It reminds me of the town we use to live in on Florida's east coast. Everyone was on well water and all the wells had high iron concentrations. Anyone who had home irrigation systems outside ("sprinklers" for us southern folk! 😄) had arcs of rusty color on the sides of their houses where the overspray went. Water stores, that sold softeners, filters, salt, etc were abundant, to say the least! 😉

My mother has a similar filter on her sink for drinking water only. Here in our house, we just buy our drinking water. We're in a rental, so can't change out sinks.

We use our city water for the aquariums and add Prime to combat whatever deficiencies it may have. In the tank that doesn't have crushed coral, we also add Alkaline Buffer.

I'm certainly glad there are filters and products that make it possible to have fish in our homes, even when the water isn't in pristine condition for them. 🙂 

2 hours ago, akconklin said:

It reminds me of the town we use to live in on Florida's east coast. Everyone was on well water and all the wells had high iron concentrations. Anyone who had home irrigation systems outside ("sprinklers" for us southern folk! 😄) had arcs of rusty color on the sides of their houses where the overspray went. Water stores, that sold softeners, filters, salt, etc were abundant, to say the least! 😉

I am the groundskeeper for the school district I live in and the wells that feed my irrigation systems have quite a bit of iron in them, you can see tell where the water hits concrete or even the grass has a reddish tinge to it. 

• Like 1