Hillstream loach question

k0olmini

I previously got a hillstream loach and it died in one day. I am interested in trying again but am somewhat deterred. They are pretty cheap in my area ($8) but I just feel really guilty killing an animal so quickly. Common information is high flow and low temperature, my tank is the opposite of that. As of recently I’ve read and seen people saying they do well in low flow and higher temperatures as well. Here is my current tank specifics. Tell me what you think. Also I have a substantial amount of algae growing. 

29 gallon, temp between 77-80F. Moderately planted. Double sponge filter. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20-40 ppm
Stocking:
2 Honey Gouramis
8 Glowlight Danios
8 Bronze Cory Doras
1 Oto
1 CPO

Plants:
1 Anubius
3 Java Ferns
1 Bunch of anacharis
1 Bunch Bacopa Carolina 
Some Java moss
3 pothos stems on top
3 spider plants on top

In my personal experience I have kept two hillstreams at 78-82F and only sponge filters with no problems for a year now. I'm unsure what caused the death of yours though. If I was you I would give it another so. Be sure to quarantine them if possible. 🙂

• Like 2

23 hours ago, k0olmini said:

I previously got a hillstream loach and it died in one day. I am interested in trying again but am somewhat deterred. They are pretty cheap in my area ($8) but I just feel really guilty killing an animal so quickly. Common information is high flow and low temperature, my tank is the opposite of that. As of recently I’ve read and seen people saying they do well in low flow and higher temperatures as well. Here is my current tank specifics. Tell me what you think. Also I have a substantial amount of algae growing. 

29 gallon, temp between 77-80F. Moderately planted. Double sponge filter. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20-40 ppm
Stocking:
2 Honey Gouramis
8 Glowlight Danios
8 Bronze Cory Doras
1 Oto
1 CPO

Plants:
1 Anubius
3 Java Ferns
1 Bunch of anacharis
1 Bunch Bacopa Carolina 
Some Java moss
3 pothos stems on top
3 spider plants on top

I got my two in yesterday from aquahuna currently have them in the QT tank 10 gallon and all that tank has is a sponge filter and a ziss bubble bio they doing good but doing the med trio that @Coryrecommends. Maybe try a qt tank and make sure they heathy and make sure they have a good belly not sunken in is my opinion I’ve seen @Cory and Lucas from lrb aquatics keep them in low flow and higher temps 

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

I got my two in yesterday from aquahuna currently have them in the QT tank 10 gallon and all that tank has is a sponge filter and a ziss bubble bio they doing good but doing the med trio that @Coryrecommends. Maybe try a qt tank and make sure they heathy and make sure they have a good belly not sunken in is my opinion I’ve seen @Cory and Lucas from lrb aquatics keep them in low flow and higher temps 

image.jpg

Appreciate it dude! Best of luck! 

• Like 1

Those temps are definitely fine mine have been breeding in a tank that has been consistently just below 80* due to summer temps. Its great that you have a lot of plants, if you have larger rock surfaces for them to hang out on and theyll love you for it. The more flow the better but mine love playing in the bubbles coming from the sponge filter also. I also found that my leopard danios were a bit much for the hillies acitivity wise and seemed to stress them out but that was in a smaller tank, as long as they have places to escape to they should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1