Flow question

ND1990

I upgraded to a 125 and I want to get some red root floaters and big frogbit. I have chili Rasboras, honey gouramis, red neon eye rainbow fish and other nano fish who don’t care for big flow.

Can I have my canister filters trickle so I can run the floaters without damage? I doubt oxygen will be a problem, but figured I’d ask anyways. 

Just now, mustang_eas said:

You could always change the output on the canister to like a DIY spray bar which would drastically reduce the flow. without having to turn it down

10d49001c5b1a160c119ffd6520fccdd.jpg

I do have a Fluval spray bar. It still pushed the floaters down into the water tho. 

If it sprays above the water and you want to keep that you can also section off your tank by floating air line in a loop or capped at both ends.  This gets you minimal flow on the surface of one side but lets you keep surface agitation for gas exchange too.

Edited by CT_

Maybe a DIY spraybar with a modification would work. Instead of having the holes pointing only 1 direction, what about having holes that point in 2, to disperse the pressure more. What I mean is having the one set of holes that point parallel to the water surface and another set that point straight down the side wall of the tank. Would keep the flow for filtration and water movement while cutting down on the surface movement.

1 minute ago, Dawn T said:

Maybe a DIY spraybar with a modification would work. Instead of having the holes pointing only 1 direction, what about having holes that point in 2, to disperse the pressure more. What I mean is having the one set of holes that point parallel to the water surface and another set that point straight down the side wall of the tank. Would keep the flow for filtration and water movement while cutting down on the surface movement.

I like it! I’ll modify the Fluval one a bit. Didn’t thank about that. Thanks!

• Like 1