What nationality is your tank?

morphy1701

OK, I only have one tank so this is easy for me. I got to thinking about whether I had a South American tank or an African tank or an Asian tank and realized I am almost totally SA. Didn't really plan it that way. I have Colombian Blue Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Bronze Corydoras, and an EBA. The only two outliers are my Yoyo Loaches which are from Pakistan. Well, I guess my herd of MTS qualify as well. Just curious if others have mixed continents or primarily have tended towards all form the same area. I realize water qualities kind of make a big impact in this, but I know it is possible to mix them since a lot captive bred anyway.

Can you mix African and SA Cichlids?

• Like 2

Mine is really mixed. I have a wide assortment of Corydoras species and otos (South America, Amazon Basin region), and a large group of Endler's livebearers/guppy hybrids (Central American region), a colony of assassin snails and a siamese algae eater (Southeast Asia, particularly Sumatra, Malaysia region), and some Amano shrimp (Japan). The plants add to the diversity: Most of my plants are from SE Asia, except for the Amazon sword.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Mine is really mixed. I have a wide assortment of Corydoras species and otos (South America, Amazon Basin region), and a large group of Endler's livebearers/guppy hybrids (Central American region), a colony of assassin snails and a siamese algae eater (Southeast Asia, particularly Sumatra, Malaysia region), and some Amano shrimp (Japan). The plants add to the diversity: Most of my plants are from SE Asia, except for the Amazon sword.

Curious, what do you feed your Assassin snails? Do you have to keep bringing in other snails for them? Not a snail I have ever kept, although I think they are awesome.

Just now, morphy1701 said:

Curious, what do you feed your Assassin snails? Do you have to keep bringing in other snails for them? Not a snail I have ever kept, although I think they are awesome.

Okay so it originally started when we got a couple of assassin snails to get rid of the MTS infestation in the 10 gallon. They did their job well and had a bunch of babies. When we moved the fish to the 29 gallon later, a couple of the assassin snails hitchhiked in. Eventually, we sold off over half, but kept the originals and a couple others. I think there are quite a few left, I just never see them because I have sand in the tank (they bury in the sand all the time). They mainly just eat the leftovers from the fish, but I recently have been feeding a bit more so that they get their food. I am thinking of adding in more "feeder" snails though.

1 minute ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Okay so it originally started when we got a couple of assassin snails to get rid of the MTS infestation in the 10 gallon. They did their job well and had a bunch of babies. When we moved the fish to the 29 gallon later, a couple of the assassin snails hitchhiked in. Eventually, we sold off over half, but kept the originals and a couple others. I think there are quite a few left, I just never see them because I have sand in the tank (they bury in the sand all the time). They mainly just eat the leftovers from the fish, but I recently have been feeding a bit more so that they get their food. I am thinking of adding in more "feeder" snails though.

Was wondering if they could survive without "victims". All I have are MTS and I was considering getting some Assassins to limit their number, but my Yoyo's and EBA seem to have fixed that problem for me.

6 minutes ago, morphy1701 said:

Was wondering if they could survive without "victims". All I have are MTS and I was considering getting some Assassins to limit their number, but my Yoyo's and EBA seem to have fixed that problem for me.

I think that Yoyo loaches would eat the assassin snails, so I would advise against putting assassins in that tank.

8 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I think that Yoyo loaches would eat the assassin snails, so I would advise against putting assassins in that tank.

Yeah, I agree. Since the Yoyo's seem to have firm control of my MTS I've decided not to worry about it anymore. I know there are still snails since I see the bigger ones occasionally and the loaches, cory's and pleco are a good enough clean-up crew that the population is kept well in check. It is a lot of fun to watch the loaches and EBA burrowing headfirst into the gravel when they sense a snail, though!

• Like 1

I have plants and fish from various parts of the world, with more coming soon. I've never had much interest in doing the biotope thing, so I've never worried about where certain fish or plants come from. Just what works with my local water and what fish/plants play well together. So I guess you could say my tanks are pretty much like me. All-American mutts.

North Carolina is the nationality of many of my tanks.

I have several tanks with fish and shrimp I collected from NC highway ditches and stocked with plants from the same ditches as I collected the fish from.

20200929_6251.JPG.0cbcf1ddd6e60651e0a58f

The substrate is from from the creek in my back yard.

I am pretty sure the tank was homemade diy in North Carolina from the 1920s.

20200727_2689.JPG.92f0bb68141b730aebe0a4

The shrimp are grass shrimp from the same ditches.

1061127978_GrassShrimp1.PNG.af98fbdca64f

The fish are Enneacanthus gloriosus.

Labelled-Blue-spot-sunfish-females-2.jpg

North Carolina is its nationality. 🙂

• Like 4