My emerald cories just laid a bunch of eggs this morning! Heard some splashing last night and didn’t think too much of it. Anyways, how do I keep them from not fungusing over? I don’t have methylene blue what other products will help to prevent eggs from rotting? Also how should I collect them? I want to hatch as many as possible to give some back to the friend that gave me the cories. Any other tips like where should I keep them and such would help. I’ve seen people use jars and place the jars in the tank until the eggs hatch. I’m planning to put the fry in my shrimp tank until they grow old enough to go back into the 55! 

4DA42FAB-1769-4A02-81B9-A4437F76556B.jpeg

9484BD24-4650-4725-AA7D-7B6BD0CF0505.jpeg

E2F23F8C-BD51-4002-BFFC-4DDDFF38230F.jpeg

5D787578-E0B4-4823-A1FD-A17C57A3F840.jpeg

• Love 1

Congratulations! I've heard some corydoras breeders use alder cones for their antifungal properties. I usually collect the eggs by rolling them off the glass or plants with my fingers, but some people use a credit card to scrape them off. You can put them in a floating plastic tub with an air stone in it, or some people put them in a mesh breeder net. If you see any eggs turn solid white and get fungus on them, remove them immediately to prevent the spread. The fertilized, healthy eggs turned translucent beige for me. Hope that helps!

Just now, Irene said:

Congratulations! I've heard some corydoras breeders use alder cones for their antifungal properties. I usually collect the eggs by rolling them off the glass or plants with my fingers, but some people use a credit card to scrape them off. You can put them in a floating plastic tub with an air stone in it, or some people put them in a mesh breeder net. If you see any eggs turn solid white and get fungus on them, remove them immediately to prevent the spread. The fertilized, healthy eggs turned translucent beige for me. Hope that helps!

Will putting them in a breeder bet box and placing it in the flow of the aquarium help?

As Irene said, roll them off the glass with your fingers or use a credit card to scrape them off, they're actually pretty tough. I've just used a small plastic dish like a deli container, put a little bit of tank water with the eggs, and an airline with a slow stream of bubbles. I float the container in he tank, you can add some hydrogen peroxide a drop or two to help with fungus or an alder cone if you have one. I'll also throw a random cherry shrimp in and they'll help keep the eggs clean. A few days later the eggs hatch, and a couple days after that you will see the yolk sac has disappeared and you can start feeding. Most will take a powdered dry food, you can crush flakes or pellets up really fine if need be. Baby brine shrimp is also good, will help them grow as well. Good Luck and keep us informed how it works for you. 

Also, just thought, if the adult cories are the only fish in the tank, you could catch them out of the tank and let the fry hatch in the tank, there will be plenty of micro-organisms for them to eat for the first few days after hatching and could make it easier to raise.

10 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

As Irene said, roll them off the glass with your fingers or use a credit card to scrape them off, they're actually pretty tough. I've just used a small plastic dish like a deli container, put a little bit of tank water with the eggs, and an airline with a slow stream of bubbles. I float the container in he tank, you can add some hydrogen peroxide a drop or two to help with fungus or an alder cone if you have one. I'll also throw a random cherry shrimp in and they'll help keep the eggs clean. A few days later the eggs hatch, and a couple days after that you will see the yolk sac has disappeared and you can start feeding. Most will take a powdered dry food, you can crush flakes or pellets up really fine if need be. Baby brine shrimp is also good, will help them grow as well. Good Luck and keep us informed how it works for you. 

Also, just thought, if the adult cories are the only fish in the tank, you could catch them out of the tank and let the fry hatch in the tank, there will be plenty of micro-organisms for them to eat for the first few days after hatching and could make it easier to raise.

Will shrimp actually clean up the eggs? That's interesting. I might try that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out. I’ve had a bunch of Cory eggs and they all hatched now I’ve put the fry in a 10 gallon. But every day around 2-6 die and I can’t seem to figure out why. Since there’s so many should I be doing more water changes less? I don’t really have a filter on hand so I tried an air stone and leaving a cycled sponge in there. I've been feeding bbs, but today my bottle leaked out so will they be okay if I skip a day of feeding? 0?ui=2&ik=e6c3b227ad&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-a:r-5203788352941188790&th=17459acdb0f514ef&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8gO9hFHtw-Se3SrQomHoAqy_JzqfPMOsa98RGninlqccUdNWA8yKZjmbHbbHpq0D65quFpmTS9W_IsrMBcnDUeb1nqg_ANBBMCda8vLHQgavqvCje1YND3mF0&disp=emb&realattid=17459acaf739f14ff5f10?ui=2&ik=e6c3b227ad&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-5203788352941188790&th=17459acdb0f514ef&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-TEgnoG82cySxVYNJoHTckvWo0ek1eB14lHmz6L0g8OgV0RuYxHRqVtwiBZPg78x9Okoc_dKFtW1SOV1JOjHwewaiABOECsfjoyUwQ9jX8Pa6x5gl2xhFOp5Y&disp=emb&realattid=17459acbdf19c0b55d30?ui=2&ik=e6c3b227ad&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r-5203788352941188790&th=17459acdb0f514ef&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9c5o_pJIas5H8AVBEtdYCsnRkOU-ro1cagVghI7DAn93jAomtPpcCpzEj4ztR4ZEUops9aIqT4wb68Dm6ZSmOXqIFme6KOz0Sp9zhU5In4wxrFJKJevSY91hY&disp=emb&realattid=17459acb62f546ada5e2

The fact that they get to day 2-6 makes me think they aren't eating properly. That would be about the time their yolk sacs would be totally exhausted. I suspect either you are not feeding enough of the right thing, or you are feeding too much at once and causing an ammonia spike.

So lets focus on exactly what and when you are feeding, how often and what amount of water you are changing, and whether you are testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

I have never kept corys, I am just going thru basic trouble shooting routines. Give us a detailed explanation of what you are doing or what you have tried and probably someone here will have some great suggestions.

Just now, Brandy said:

The fact that they get to day 2-6 makes me think they aren't eating properly. That would be about the time their yolk sacs would be totally exhausted. I suspect either you are not feeding enough of the right thing, or you are feeding too much at once and causing an ammonia spike.

So lets focus on exactly what and when you are feeding, how often and what amount of water you are changing, and whether you are testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

I have never kept corys, I am just going thru basic trouble shooting routines. Give us a detailed explanation of what you are doing or what you have tried and probably someone here will have some great suggestions.

I’ve been feeding bbs I’ve been trying to feed enough so that I can see most of not all the cories are full. And then I do a water change of 50% or more. I tested for ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates 10 

3 minutes ago, Brandy said:

And I meant 2-6 fry die every day. 

8 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Ok that is different. slow fry death doesn't sound like a feeding issue necessarily. It sounds like stress, kinda. How often do you feed though? and what temperature is the tank? 

i just retested and there seems to be some ammonia, what's the best way to go about this. Because I have extra cycled media, but no filter. Could I raise them in a 10 gallon shrimp tank with 3 stiphodon gobies, 4 danios, a pair of endlers and 3 kuhli loaches. Or could I somehow raise them in a fish net in my 55 gallon that will keep the water quality good but I'm scared for stunted growth since there's so many.

Anything that can fit them in their mouth will eat them. The shrimp would be fabulous for helping clean up. But why not try something like this in the 55g? At least until they are big enough to not be eaten. They wont be stunted by the net, it isn't space that stunts them, it is water quality. In the 55, you would have more room in the water parameters, and if you threw a few shrimp in the net with them they would even have local clean up crew.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/penn-plax-deluxe-net-breeder

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Anything that can fit them in their mouth will eat them. The shrimp would be fabulous for helping clean up. But why not try something like this in the 55g? At least until they are big enough to not be eaten. They wont be stunted by the net, it isn't space that stunts them, it is water quality. In the 55, you would have more room in the water parameters, and if you threw a few shrimp in the net with them they would even have local clean up crew.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/penn-plax-deluxe-net-breeder

Okok I think for now I'll place them into a fish net that I use to hatch them, since I can't go out to go get any. And for the time being I'll be working on making a diy filter for the 10 gallon tank for preparation for the future

On 9/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, Brandy said:

Would not recommend the shrimp with the fry, if they can they will eat them. Saw one grab a cory fry trying to rip it apart.

• 10 months later...

My Cory likes to hold onto her eggs until she is swimming by the white sand in the tank and then… ‘Wweeeee!’ She tosses them…never to be seen again. I’ve tried a spawning mop, no luck there.   It’s like she saw me collet the ones she stuck to the under side of a leaf and was like ‘No more eggs for you!’ 🤦🏼‍♀️🤪

• Haha 1