Need some advice

morphy1701

I'm seriously considering getting a small tank for my office (somewhere in the 15-20 gallon size) but have never done a small tank. I also want to try doing it planted. But I'm worried about maintaining water parameters and things like that. I'm guessing that the smaller environment is more inclined to go south in a hurry if something goes wrong. Is that true? How much micro-managing do you have to do. With my 55 I do water changes once a week or every other week depending on how the water looks. I check the parameters once a month and have very little fluctuation so all in all, very low maintenance. is it the same for a smaller tank?

Hmm... does @Cory have any videos posted on this subject on YT? That would probably be a good starting point.

I think your worrying a bit to much. I have a few nano tank and only do weekly waterchanges. It depends with what your stocking plans are. With the tank being 15-20 gallons you dont need to worry about water parameters fluncuating. Cory has lots of nano tank stocking video:

Heres one:

In the middle of watching @Irene's series of videos documenting her restart of a planted tank beginning last year. Gonna try to use it as my baseline when I start this process. I've followed her channel for the better part of a year and love her knowledge and commentary. Just a bonus that she is a member here! Just throwing out thanks and props to her!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nana Finopolis said:

I love my 20 long tank. It's shorter so plants are closer to the light. I just use a Finnex Stingray light on it and can grow many different plants. I do once a week water changes. That tank is always very stable. It's my favorite size for the smaller tanks.

This.  I also have a 20 long, and really like it.  To paraphrase something I saw someone else say recently "I don't have to worry about contaminating my tank with underarm deodorant when I work in it."

• Haha 2