Newbie looking for advice

Joshua W.

Hello everyone!

So I have had tanks with some success in the past, both freshwater, and saltwater, but has been about a year and so because of that I always reset because I have either slept since then and forgotten something or learn something new as I research things. 

I am wanting to get back into the hobby with my first planted aquarium but I want to start off well and set up for success. I realize there are dozens of opinions on how to begin but my tank will be 30 gallons. 

One of the first things I always try to figure out is what would be the best substrate. I realize there are dozens of way to go about it, either gravel, fertilized soil, mixing substrates.  I live in North Texas and plan to visit some of my local fish stores in the area to get feedback as well but I know they are focused on earning a profit and will want to make a sell. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for someone coming in to learn for their first planted Aquarium. 

Thanks in advance! 

It really boils down to what you want it to look like. What's your goal? What do you like? If you prefer the look of the inert substrates like playsand, you can always make up for it with the use of root tabs. The aquasoil type substrates are excellent for plants, but they can also complicate things a bit, like changing your Ph and releasing ammonia in the beginning months. They all can work, it just depends on how you want to utilize them. 

I have also just got into planted tanks as well. I use all low to medium light, easy, beginner plants. The research that I have done brought me to "my conclusion" that the ecocomplete line of substrate is like the middle of the road as far as substrates go. I just put plants in it the other day so I can't review the substrate yet but supposedly I won't have to use root taps the planted plants. We'll see.

8 minutes ago, Medkow74 said:

I have also just got into planted tanks as well. I use all low to medium light, easy, beginner plants. The research that I have done brought me to "my conclusion" that the ecocomplete line of substrate is like the middle of the road as far as substrates go. I just put plants in it the other day so I can't review the substrate yet but supposedly I won't have to use root taps the planted plants. We'll see.

All planted substrates will eventually have their nutrients used up, at which point you'll need to replace the substrate, use roots tabs, or substitute with a liquid fertilizer. Just an fyi.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Joshua W. said:

Hello everyone!

So I have had tanks with some success in the past, both freshwater, and saltwater, but has been about a year and so because of that I always reset because I have either slept since then and forgotten something or learn something new as I research things. 

I am wanting to get back into the hobby with my first planted aquarium but I want to start off well and set up for success. I realize there are dozens of opinions on how to begin but my tank will be 30 gallons. 

One of the first things I always try to figure out is what would be the best substrate. I realize there are dozens of way to go about it, either gravel, fertilized soil, mixing substrates.  I live in North Texas and plan to visit some of my local fish stores in the area to get feedback as well but I know they are focused on earning a profit and will want to make a sell. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for someone coming in to learn for their first planted Aquarium. 

Thanks in advance! 

In addition to any of the commercially available planted tank substrates, you can use potting soil, just be sure to do your research and buy an aquarium safe soil. You could also use safetsorb and cap it with pool filter sand, which is what I've used, I add osmocote+ to the substrate since it's inert. A lot of it comes down to what plants you want, what fish you want, what your budget is, and what look you like. If you're keeping corydoras, you should make sure to cap your substrate with sand.

14 minutes ago, ererer said:

In addition to any of the commercially available planted tank substrates, you can use potting soil, just be sure to do your research and buy an aquarium safe soil. You could also use safetsorb and cap it with pool filter sand, which is what I've used, I add osmocote+ to the substrate since it's inert. A lot of it comes down to what plants you want, what fish you want, what your budget is, and what look you like. If you're keeping corydoras, you should make sure to cap your substrate with sand.

I've done this with some good results; I used a layer of organic potting soil and then capped it with Black Diamond blasting sand. I found that the soil gave the plants a great boost in the beginning, especially the crypts. Eventually it did slow down after a year or two and now I use root tabs. 

• Like 1