Do I actually need easy green?

So I love the idea of easy green so I got some but have since been having algae problems.  It's a new tank and I've changed a lot at once so I can't really blame easy green but I'm starting to think I just don't need it.

I have a fully stocked tank according to aqadvisor (15g 3 guppy, 12 tetra, 3 oto, some shrimp).  moderately planted, I aspire to have heavily planted but am waiting for plants to grow and reproduce (floaters, val, etc) rather than spend more money. 

The food/poop I feed these guys is probably providing plenty of N(20ppm measured) and P (don't have a kit to measure this).  I have soft water so I'm adding equilibrium which has more K Mg S Fe Mn than easy green so that leaves me with B and Zn that easy green supplements that equilibrium isn't already covering. 

What are the odds I'm getting plenty of B and Zn in my tap already?  Am I maybe better off with flourish to supplement any missing micro?  should I not worry about micro unless I see a problem?

i mean its a new tank so there will be an adjustment period till it finds that balance you can let the tank run cause if you're having an algae problem you def could have too many nutrients that the plant can absorb so the algae is going to thrive also it depends on what type of algae is it green, brown,etc ...me personally would stop giving extra nutrients and see how the plants react for a few weeks  cause new tank syndrome is a real thing 

• Like 1

In one of Cory’s “last” fish room tours in his old house, he says he doesn’t use easy green in his totes. They are so full of fish and he feeds so heavily that he doesn’t need it. The plants in there are pretty lush too. There definitely are cases where fertilizers aren’t necessary.

Edited by OceanTruth
Forgot something
  • Like 1