MOs AIO 12gallon Journal

MartyO

This is the tank AIO Biocube. Needs a light thinking a Finnex Stingray to fit into the hood. If the Finnex won't work may take the hood off and go with a AI Prime Freshwater light. Might also downgrade the current pump as I think it might be to much, or could also maybe make a DIY spray bar. Also for inhabitants thinking of doing Aquarium co-ops centerpiece fish idea with a gourami and tetras. I'll post more info once I test my tap water and see where that stands or might have to use my RODI water and re-mineralize it.

AIO Pump.jpg

AIO Tank Top Down.jpg

• Like 1

I’m no expert, but your water seems pretty neutral. I think practically anything that could fit in your tank size would work. I would pick out fish you are attracted to and just check on their parameters. Fish are pretty adaptable as long as parameters are stable. So even if fish needed a little more acidic or basic than yours, they would work.

That’s just my opinion though. I would post this question in the “General Discussion” section. You’ll get more advice and a lot of fish choices.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

I’m no expert, but your water seems pretty neutral. I think practically anything that could fit in your tank size would work. I would pick out fish you are attracted to and just check on their parameters. Fish are pretty adaptable as long as parameters are stable. So even if fish needed a little more acidic or basic than yours, they would work.

That’s just my opinion though. I would post this question in the “General Discussion” section. You’ll get more advice and a lot of fish choices.

Will do thanks!

SOOOO I decided on CPDs with Pygmy corydoras. Now I just need to get a light and some filter media (polyfil). Still might also have to downgrade the pump or figure out how to cut it back. I'm going to fill the tank on my next day off on 3-10-21. At this time it should tell me if I need to get a different pump. I know Biocubes are generally equipped for saltwater tanks which have higher turnover. Any recommendations on a pump? Looked at a few on BRS just to get an idea. I think the lowest one was about 72 GPH which is still X7 turnover but a lil better then X10 currently. Also will be picking up gravel on Sunday, was thinking of cleaning with 4-5 cups of bleach to make sure it's really clean. Person has it in a 5G bucket and have no idea what to expect when I go to pick it up. Have a few plants in mind as well mostly low light Anubias and Crypts. 

Edited by MartyO
  • Like 1

CPD’s and Pygmy Cories sound pretty awesome! I’m no expert on water flow and turnover rate and all that but 72gph for a 12 gallon tank doesn’t sound too bad. You could always aim the output towards the side wall to take the brunt of the flow. If the pump has adjustable speed, the lowest setting would be great as well.

• Like 1

Ordered a Finnex Stringray light, airline tubing, never clog air stones, and 4 pack of dual sponge filters. Just need to order a new pump and then wait for everything to arrive and setup a quarantine tank and also start looking for a local shop that carries the fish. The next week or two are going to be slow and boring lol.

Thinking about retrofitting the Finnex into the top for the tank. I don't know if one light will be enough, though it might be I am still have the saltwater thinking which you need strong lights. 😁 Thinking of using epoxy to attach some kind of braces to hold the light in the hood. If I do that I'm have to find a piece of polycarbonate to cover the light. Let me hear your suggestions thanks.

IMG_5915.jpeg

IMG_5916.jpeg

We have water! So seems like everything is good. It may have been a mistake to go with a smaller pump. I’m going to swap it out with the stock pump tomorrow and see if there is a difference. It’s flowing fine just not sure how much the fish will need. I’m use to the more flow the better. I may pick up some plants to see how the water is moving. Kinda hard to tell with nothing in it. Also you can see that the lid is in desperate need of some TLC. Was thinking of wrapping it with something fun. Have to hop on amazon and see if there is something like sticker bomb fish wrap. Also have to pick up some gravel tomorrow from a local. Then place another order in a few weeks for some root tabs and maybe easy green. Thanks for following along it’s a blast doing something different. 

6821969C-F0C8-4018-8A81-429EDC28DCA8.jpeg

6590E1D4-2988-4DDD-8736-F61F94007CC4.jpeg

143B3D5E-39E1-4228-8960-BB20973A1E8C.jpeg

• Like 1

So we have fish, plants, shrimp, gravel. Just waiting on a store to release the CPDs. Seems like one of the corys isn’t going to make it barely breathing 😢. Swapped the pump on the tank back to the stock pump and it definitely added more flow which it needed. Picked up the trio quarantine meds along with bottled bacteria. I’m keeping the shrimp in the specimen container as they are kinda small and am worried about them getting sucked into the overflow. Guess this is why a lot of people use HOBs and sponge filters not as much worry. 

5E1A0DE8-4774-4C3A-86E3-BBB6AB9E2C92.jpeg

25D2CAEF-41B6-493D-806A-96B352991D92.jpeg

D144525A-F9E5-4380-8502-53C7BECA2D38.jpeg

0177DBB3-1E68-41B5-B10F-4D3DABBC8CFD.jpeg

So apparently i just don’t know how these little guys behave at all. So everyone is fine but these guys literally have been chilling all day not moving much at all. Put a little food in just now and they are swimming like crazy. Also is it normal for corys to swim to the top of the water then dive straight back down?

18CE65B1-2AFB-4C67-9544-FC133BC8C119.jpeg

4439C55D-EBAC-45F8-A222-5B23C9138AA0.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MartyO said:

So apparently i just don’t know how these little guys behave at all. So everyone is fine but these guys literally have been chilling all day not moving much at all. Put a little food in just now and they are swimming like crazy. Also is it normal for corys to swim to the top of the water then dive straight back down?

my cories dash to the top and then back down again. I honestly have no idea if my cories are eating food I feed or living off of stuff growing in the tank

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MartyO said:

Yes cories breathe air this way. It is common for them to do this in the wild and in our home aquariums.

Also, they do like to just sit around for a while during the day. I found some species are more active a dusk and dawn than when it is brighter. Adding in some hiding places will help them feel a bit more comfortable as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1