Four days ago I  added 5 chili rasboras and an amano shrimp to my 5 gallon planted tank which has an hob filter. My water parameters had been at ph 7.2 ammonia .25 (api test) nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 for a month before I added the fish. I am new to the hobby so I be overreacting (feel free to tell me if I am) but when I tested my water today I found that my nitrite had jumped to .25 and my nitrate had gone up to 10 ppm. I did a water change to get the nitrites down. Was this an overreaction and really just my tank leveling out with the new fish? 

Those numbers aren't horrible. 

The thing is, is that they can change pretty fast in a five gallon tank. 

So, you're right to be staying on top of it. 

Eventually, your ammonia level will hit zero. Then, it might take a week for the nitrite level to get there. 

Cory, our forum sponsor, has said that 0.5ppm (for ammonia and nitrite) is the point to stay below.

Only my opinion.

Edited by Frank

Another important thing to note is that the bacteria you develop over time in your tank turns the ammonia in to nitrites and then into nitrates. With the addition of fish the food and poop was in the process of being converted into nitrates that's probably why you saw the nitrites register. Like @Franksaid though things can change fast in a small tank but i think you'll be fine!!!

On 3/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Tinyfellows said:

Four days ago I  added 5 chili rasboras and an amano shrimp to my 5 gallon planted tank which has an hob filter. My water parameters had been at ph 7.2 ammonia .25 (api test) nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 for a month before I added the fish. I am new to the hobby so I be overreacting (feel free to tell me if I am) but when I tested my water today I found that my nitrite had jumped to .25 and my nitrate had gone up to 10 ppm. I did a water change to get the nitrites down. Was this an overreaction and really just my tank leveling out with the new fish? 

Actually liz of Aquarium co op recently made a vid and said 20 on the nitrates is perfect. Plants need nitrates.