Yesterday, he did very well! I started holding the treat where he can't see it, and he gets the treat after two passes. He decides to go the other way around at one point.

Today.... not so great. Not sure what the reason was, but he seemed to be confused on whether I wanted him to just go through, or around in a circle or what. The video is 5 min long simply from me waiting a few times to see if he gets it.

There is a Dragon cameo at 1:20.

Unsure if I should go back a step and keep the treat where he can see it. I guess I'll see how he does tomorrow.

I can't believe I've been doing this daily for 21 days. X3

Edited by H.K.Luterman
wording
  • Like 5

My cat recently regressed on “spin”. She had it down for several weeks, but suddenly when I do the “spin” hand motion she thinks I want her to stand on her hind legs and touch my hand. I wonder if at some point they start to overthink things (just like we do).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hobbit said:

My cat recently regressed on “spin”. She had it down for several weeks, but suddenly when I do the “spin” hand motion she thinks I want her to stand on her hind legs and touch my hand. I wonder if at some point they start to overthink things (just like we do).

When I was obedience training my dog as a puppy, she would have days where should would completely forget how to do certain things. I'm guessing it's just a part of the learning process while they sort things out. Even when he does show confusion, he still manages to do the trick a few times a session, so I'm hoping it's just a phase. I'm interested to see how he does tonight.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hobbit said:

@HobbitI think it's your cat's way of saying:

"Hey, I've done that for you the last few weeks, I've humored you, now I'm bored with it. Pet me! Love on me! We're still friends."

Cats love new games, new toys, and sooner or later ignore things they get bored with, because your cat doesn't want to the trick anymore doesn't mean she doesn't remember how to do it, she's just bored with the routine. Cats will stick to daily routines they prefer religiously, things they do just to please us they'll do for a while to humor us, then ignore them, and shmooze you while they do it. At least that's been my experience, and I've had the company of cats even longer than I've kept fish. It's part of their character, and I wouldn't have them any other way.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jungle Fan said:

things they do just to please us they'll do for a while to humor us, then ignore them, and shmooze you while they do it.

Amen!! She does not like the spin trick because it’s sooo much work compared to the others. 😄 She knows eight tricks and spin is her least favorite.

She will do none of her tricks for our 14 year old cat sitter, because she knows if she just rubs up against her legs and looks cute, she’ll get the treats anyway.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Well, we just had a perfect session. I'm calling this trick good and learned. I'll probably still have him practice it but I won't be updating this thread with hoop session videos anymore.

If I figure out a new trick for him to do, I'll document the process. 

I am amazed!!  Never thought a fish would learn to do something like that.  It is a credit to your patience.  I have worked with horses and dogs but this has been fun to watch.  Thank you!😁

• Thanks 1