Mosses?

Robin

To my knowledge, there isn't a moss that will root, period. Moss will attach itself to larger substrate like gravel and rocks using rhizoids, and kind of creep and grow along the surface of the substrate. I haven't seen it enough to create an entire carpet in any of my tanks. Eventually it stops crawling horizontally and starts shooting upward. I'm sure it's possible though. 

• Thanks 1

I was watching a video from Irene about using Moss Balls as a "moss" carpet by slitting them open and lying them flat. It still needs to be tied down of course but I honestly don't remember how she said to cut it. Sure wish I could remember that video too. Just saw it last week. Not sure that answers your question though. 

• Thanks 1

I've used this plastic canvas you can get at craft stores. Tie the moss to it then weigh it down with a little substrate until the moss gets going real well. When the moss gets a little taller I bury the plastic canvas in the substrate. I love this stuff. You can make moss walls or use it to attach other plants as well. I've even made ledges and caves with it, then cover with substrate or rocks.

There's so many uses for an aquarium. Cover a nano tank, cut small pieces to cover gaps where fish might be able to jump out, tank divider, separate filter media, etc, etc.

image.png.1cee3fadc2b28ba458c63f9370c62f70.png

Edited by Dice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great idea. I hadn't thought of burying it in the substrate and ta-da I already have some plastic canvas. the cave thing is interesting. I'd like t make some caves. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Dice said:

I've used this plastic canvas you can get at craft stores. Tie the moss to it then weigh it down with a little substrate until the moss gets going real well. When the moss gets a little taller I bury the plastic canvas in the substrate. I love this stuff. You can make moss walls or use it to attach other plants as well. I've even made ledges and caves with it, then cover with substrate or rocks.

There's so many uses for an aquarium. Cover a nano tank, cut small pieces to cover gaps where fish might be able to jump out, tank divider, separate filter media, etc, etc.

image.png.1cee3fadc2b28ba458c63f9370c62f70.png

Another method similar to plastic canvas is using plastic gutter guard, as it's usually cheaper than plastic canvas depending on where you live or for larger scale projects.

I've also had good results by processing equal amounts of moss and water roughly in a blender and then painting it onto surfaces and doing a dry start. This works best on broader surfaces (I've personally done it on Mopani wood), I had to use cotton thread for my bonsai in my 5.5g.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ange said:

Another method similar to plastic canvas is using plastic gutter guard, as it's usually cheaper than plastic canvas depending on where you live or for larger scale projects.

I've also had good results by processing equal amounts of moss and water roughly in a blender and then painting it onto surfaces and doing a dry start. This works best on broader surfaces (I've personally done it on Mopani wood), I had to use cotton thread for my bonsai in my 5.5g.

That sounds interesting. When you say a dry start do you mean that once you paint it on you leave it to dry and then put it in water? 

For a dry start on moss what I usually do after painting it on is place it into a container, mist the driftwood until it's damp (not sopping wet or else you will grow mold), and cover it tightly in cling wrap. This keeps the environment humid and also maximizes the CO2 that the moss has access to.

Some people will dry start entire tanks using moss and plants that can grow emersed and then flood it later, but it's also possible to dry start moss on aquarium decor and do the method in its own container for about a month or so (the amount of time depends on the species, this is how long it has taken me with willow moss).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ange said:

For a dry start on moss what I usually do after painting it on is place it into a container, mist the driftwood until it's damp (not sopping wet or else you will grow mold), and cover it tightly in cling wrap. This keeps the environment humid and also maximizes the CO2 that the moss has access to.

Some people will dry start entire tanks using moss and plants that can grow emersed and then flood it later, but it's also possible to dry start moss on aquarium decor and do the method in its own container for about a month or so (the amount of time depends on the species, this is how long it has taken me with willow moss).

I am so going to try this. Thanks a bunch!

4 hours ago, ange said:

totally off topic, but I have always wanted to use this technique to stencil a word on a brick wall here in Seattle. If I started in fall I bet it would take.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Brandy said:

totally off topic, but I have always wanted to use this technique to stencil a word on a brick wall here in Seattle. If I started in fall I bet it would take.

If you do it, you have to post pictures!

• Haha 1