The new fish room and studio build thread.

Cory

1 hour ago, Cory said:

I'm not sure what part specifically you're talking about. All the elbows are made from black PVC, the top part is a flat type bulleye strainer. In the pic above, those are just holes that don't have their overflow installed yet.

I think it’s the bullseye strainer I’m looking for. Do you do anything to keep fry out or is that not an issue? 

• 2 weeks later...

Are there plans to make a supercut video of the build from start to finish? I know the videos are kind of spread out amongst members only, the main channel, and the other aquarium co-op channel but would still like to see it one day! #ReleaseTheUrbanFishFarmCut

• Like 2

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Andrew Puhr said:

Are there plans to make a supercut video of the build from start to finish? I know the videos are kind of spread out amongst members only, the main channel, and the other aquarium co-op channel but would still like to see it one day! #ReleaseTheUrbanFishFarmCut

I'm not sure yet. Maybe at some point.

Yesterday we got the last 12 totes finally plumbed in. Put in 3 tanks worth of gravel. Got the 800 gallon stand wrapped in the sound panels and 4 out of 5 tables in the fish room wrapped in panels. Then setup the ping pong table.

IMG_3182.JPG

On 4/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, Cory said:

I'm not sure yet. Maybe at some point.

Yesterday we got the last 12 totes finally plumbed in. Put in 3 tanks worth of gravel. Got the 800 gallon stand wrapped in the sound panels and 4 out of 5 tables in the fish room wrapped in panels. Then setup the ping pong table.

IMG_3182.JPG

This is reminding me more and more of when Penny Arcade (also a company based near Seattle) started building out their space. They got heavy into ping pong as well. I'm hoping you see as much success as they did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Streetwise said:

The outdoor pond looks amazing!

Love the nature sounds too! Sounds like Red-Wing Blackbirds. 🥰

For anyone interested, here’s a bit of etymology on the koi variety names:

• Shiro Utsuri Koi, 白写鯉, White Reflection Carp: shiro means white. utsuri means reflection or image.
  • Doitsu Koi, ドイツ鯉, German Carp: These scale-less carp were developed in Germany. doitsu means German or Germany.
  • Shōwa Koi, 昭和鯉, Shōwa Carp: Named after the Shōwa era, which covered the reign of Emperor Hirohito (1926-1989).
  • Tanchō Koi, 丹頂鯉, Red-Crowned Carp: Named after the Japanese Crane (tanchō tsuru), which has a red patch on the top of its head. tan means cinnabar (mercury oxide). This red-colored mineral is valued for use in immortality elixirs because it was believed to have magical properties that could prolong life. In China and Japan, cranes are symbols of longevity. 
  • Benigoi, 紅鯉, Safflower Carp: Named after a natural, red-orange dye made from safflowers. beni hana means safflower.
  • Kōhaku Koi, 紅白鯉, Red-White Carp: means scarlet red, haku means white — the two colors of the Japanese flag. @Cory identified the red markings using the term hi. This word comes from hi no maru (sun disk), the red disk on the Japanese flag. 

Speaking of symbols, the Japanese carp represents masculine strength and courage. On the traditional holiday known as Boys’ Day (tango no sekku), families raise carp-shaped wind socks in hopes that their male offspring will grow up healthy and strong.  Rippling in the wind, the wind socks simulate carp swimming against strong currents.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTum-8ew-WnE9iWO8nevKi

Carp are frequently featured in Japanese mythology as fearsome water monsters capable of climbing waterfalls, riding rapids and whirlpools, and blocking streams. They are often depicted in battle against a lone, male hero. So, in a few years, I predict those pond carp will be like...

dl_ndl_go.jp_1306958_oniwakamaru-seizes-carp_900px.jpg.e5ebecad841bd0dc9b42d7cc767903b3.jpg Source: National Diet Library

Edited by Anita
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

@Cory, I noticed that your pond inflow sluiceway has more cutouts, besides the pair for the current grate. Have you thought about adding more pre-filter layers to your pond intake? You could potentially host specific plants or inhabitants in a slice of this high-flow intake.

1889755610_ScreenShot2021-04-27at12_28_02.png.0f5cecca96cb41cc9995ed8ab4f7dbd6.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...