Question about guppy care

Maggie

Good morning! I've almost decided to get guppies for my 20L, and it will be either male-only or female-only. As with everything fishkeeping there is alot of conflicting info on guppy care. The Coop has a good article that says though they prefer higher water temperature, they tend to live longer (and have fewer babies) when kept at 72-75, which is the temperature I keep my 20L, and they need hard water. Other articles say never keep them cool, always warm, and it must be rock hard water! The water in there is pH 7.4, KH and GH both 7. I'd love to hear opinions from you guys on this. The guppies I want are the "assorted" type, nothing fancy. I'd rather pick another fish than change my water in this aquarium since the danios are doing really well, so dither fish suggestions are welcome if guppies won't work. I've been hemming and hawwing over this for over 2 months and even got my betta first because I couldn't decide! I can no longer keep staring at the 20L being so understocked.

I've only had about two or three years experience with guppies, but I kept them at 76 degrees, 7.6 Ph 3 Kh and Gh about 10 and they did well; very productive. I wouldn't worry too much, I think your params are fine. You can always add crushed coral if you want to increase hardness just to be sure. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
I have no idea what year it is.
  • Like 2

Sounds like you have an ideal setup. I usually keep my guppies outside but when I have to pull them in for winter I keep them around 65-70 degrees, gh is about 10 dGH at around 6.4 ph. You'll have more leeway with water parameters if you buy assorted guppies/endlers which is what I did. 

I have noticed better coloration by increasing hardness but I don't it think its fully necessary. Regular water changes will replenish any used minerals and this is also a great option:

9 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

You can always add crushed coral if you want to increase hardness just to be sure. 

If I read it correctly you keep danios in the tank, consider getting short tailed guppies or ones fast enough to keep up with the danios. Just how rambunctious danios can be, there is a possibility of fin nipping but not all the time.

I feel guppies are literally bullet proof which is a curse and a blessing sometimes. Depending how you set the tank up under stocking may be the least of your worries!

• Like 1

I, like @H.K.Luterman, only have 2 or 3 years experience with them, but I don’t even run a heater with them. They’re usually at the low end of 68F during the winter and a high of 79F during the summer. I did have one day this year where the temperature got down to 65F and they still seemed pretty active.

Maybe I’m not the most observant person, but I never noticed a drop or increase in fry production. Seems like every month I find some recent fry.

Males only or female only is a good idea. However, if the females are not virgin, then you still would end up with some fry. I do like my female only tank though. They’re more active and crazier feeders compared to the boys in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have had my all-male fancy assorted Guppies for over a year now and they seem to be doing quite well in my community tank with standard parameters. Nothing special, my hardness is a steady 7 and the temp is always 76 - high 77. They are pretty to look at and easy care IMO. One thing I learned through trial and error - be sure to your fish numbers balance the hierarchy. I have noticed they can get a little peckish with new guppies, odd numbers and new fish, but once the order is sorted out they live cohesively.

I am also building up a 20gal and looking to find a new group of fish to add. Also, wanna hear what others suggest offered and others' guppy stats. *following* 

• Like 1

Agree. Mutt guppies are usually nearly bulletproof. The only issue I have had is when I have gotten nice ones and stopped the pampering all at once--or rather that my kid did. I think the trick is very much to ease any fish into change. If you are buying from somewhere with liquid rock, I highly reccomend wondershell or crushed coral, and then gradually reducing GH to your normal levels. If not, they will be fine in almost anything.

• Like 1