Breeding Amano Shrimp

JPenguin12

My amano shrimp females are berried regularly and have always wondered what it would be like to try to grow up the young. I know that it is quite complicated (involving saltwater, etc). Has anyone had any experiences they would like to share?

Edited by JPenguin12

I don't have any experience on breeding amano shrimp but I have heard of people breeding them in brackish. I think that they would breed in brackish as that is what the larvae would grow in. Overall, I think that breeding amano shrimp isn't too hard, as long as you have the right set up it should work out.

Good luck! I wonder if 3 tanks might work - 1 fresh, 1 semi-brackish and 1 brackish, and move them between the tanks, maybe an extra tank or two would be needed to more gradually increase the salt concentration. But it also seems like if it were that easy more people would do it, as these guys fetch good money. At my LFS the other day I think they were like $20 a piece, or 3 for $50!! You could do this setup using plastic bins even! Once you got a colony going, wow that's some serious money. 

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Good luck! I wonder if 3 tanks might work - 1 fresh, 1 semi-brackish and 1 brackish, and move them between the tanks, maybe an extra tank or two would be needed to more gradually increase the salt concentration. But it also seems like if it were that easy more people would do it, as these guys fetch good money. At my LFS the other day I think they were like $20 a piece, or 3 for $50!! You could do this setup using plastic bins even! Once you got a colony going, wow that's some serious money. 

20 for an amano shrimp, thats absolutely nuts.