Evacuating for Hurricane Laura, Need help

jaydawnsin

I have two tanks, one 10 gallon, one 29. Pictures below. I just got these plants in from aquarium co-op yesterday and it came with one snail hitchhiker. I can't bring anything with me aquarium-wise. What should I do to ensure the best possible chance of survival should we get the flood water that's being predicted for my area and power goes out? Should I leave everything in the 10 gallon or move it to the 29? I have no back up power so I know my cycle will be messed up but I'm okay starting that over. I just dont want my little snail friend and my plants to die. There's a window adjacent to the 29 whereas the 10 gallon wont get any sunlight. I was in the middle of setting up the 29 when I was told that flood water was coming. Should I fill up the 29 the rest of the way if I move the plants? I'm sorry if this is all over the place, I'm trying to put everything up for minimal damage.

2020-08-25 18.15.24.jpg

2020-08-25 18.15.36.jpg

Edited by JaydenDSin

• Administrators

I would leave them as is, put a bit of fertilizer in there. The reality is those plants should survive for a couple of weeks without light. The val may melt back a bit, but the others can get by with VERY low light. I would say of the things you have to worry about, these plants should be real low on the list and I believe they'll do well for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

I would leave them as is, put a bit of fertilizer in there. The reality is those plants should survive for a couple of weeks without light. The val may melt back a bit, but the others can get by with VERY low light. I would say of the things you have to worry about, these plants should be real low on the list and I believe they'll do well for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the advice. I'll let ya'll know how things are when I get back.

2 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

Good luck! I don’t know how the storm is supposed to hit you, but put what you can on high counters and such.

I was flooded out by Irene, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

I was flooded out by Imelda. One of the worst days of my life and now there's another flood coming our way. The difference that we had no warning then. I'm currently cooking and then we're gonna move everything to the counters and head out. Thank you for the advice!

I thought of more stuff. If you have outside fuel tanks, turn the valves off at the tanks. If you have cars you won't be taking, drive them to high ground anywhere. I lost my WRX by not driving high enough; however, I got my money back on the home heating fuel when they found my tank miles down the river, valve closed.

• Thanks 1

To keep ya'll updated, I'm okay, me and my family are safe, the hurricane brushed passed my home so at worst, it's probably a power outage. Sucks for my nitrogen cycle but there's no fish luckily. Praying for that little bladder snail and my plants but we're okay.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, JaydenDSin said:

To keep ya'll updated, I'm okay, me and my family are safe, the hurricane brushed passed my home so at worst, it's probably a power outage. Sucks for my nitrogen cycle but there's no fish luckily. Praying for that little bladder snail and my plants but we're okay.

❤️

• Thanks 1