Is there such thing as toys for fish

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Somewhere on this forum there is a recording of a group of goldfish playing water hockey. 

Its in Aquarium Memes:

There is a "fish school" kit. I am not sure how applicable it may be to your conivcts, but I have seen this been done on goldfish and bettas.

https://www.amazon.ca/R2-Fish-School-Complete-Training/dp/B00168A6DQ 

With this kit it will give you all the necesarry tools to play basketball, soccer, and maybee football with your fish.

• Like 1

For most animals, trick training seems to be a brain-healthy sort of play. It could be fish soccer/football, or swimming through a hoop, or nudging a target, or really anything you want. If you can find a way to connect a food reward with that action, you can train it.

I’ve never tried this with fish, but I’ve taught my cat a slew of tricks. 😊 I’m sure fish would be a bit harder but I’m confident it’s possible!

Thinking about cats... I wonder if you could buy some of those fake rubber fish fisherman use, take all the hooks off, and dangle it in your tank like a cat toy. 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

There is a "fish school" kit. I am not sure how applicable it may be to your conivcts, but I have seen this been done on goldfish and bettas.

https://www.amazon.ca/R2-Fish-School-Complete-Training/dp/B00168A6DQ 

With this kit it will give you all the necesarry tools to play basketball, soccer, and maybee football with your fish.

Plus, the kit, "Includes a 45 minute detailed instructional DVD featuring world famous fish trainer Dr Dean Pomerleau." Um, Dr. Who? 😆

• Like 2

Just now, Hobbit

For most animals, trick training seems to be a brain-healthy sort of play. It could be fish soccer/football, or swimming through a hoop, or nudging a target, or really anything you want. If you can find a way to connect a food reward with that action, you can train it.

I’ve never tried this with fish, but I’ve taught my cat a slew of tricks. 😊 I’m sure fish would be a bit harder but I’m confident it’s possible!

Thinking about cats... I wonder if you could buy some of those fake rubber fish fisherman use, take all the hooks off, and dangle it in your tank like a cat toy. 😀

Perhaps but also perhaps they grab it snd try to eat it then what 🤔🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Anita said:

Dr Dean Pomerleau." Um, Dr. Who? 😆

Aww... I was hoping for an evening of entertaining research but it seems Dr. Dean doesn’t have any recent internet presence. Bummer!

Perhaps that means there’s a gap in the market!!! @Cory this is your chance!! Would you hire me as Aquarium Co-op’s fish trainer??? If it would help I could get a PhD. 😀😜

• Haha 1