Lemon

does anyone have ideas on how to catch fast fish without ruining the aquacape? So I added some pearl danios to my 20 long planted tank that I'm planning to move out once they are bigger. But they are extremely fast. has anyone used a bottle fish trap and how well did it work?

thanks for the help 🙂

If they're celestial pearl danios (i.e. very small) @Brandygave me a great tip to siphon them out with a 1/2" (1.25cm) hose from a gravel vac.

I've also had some success with baiting a breeder box and dumping it out into my holding tank or bucket whenever someone ventures in, but it can take awhile.

3 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

If they're celestial pearl danios (i.e. very small) @Brandygave me a great tip to siphon them out with a 1/2" (1.25cm) hose from a gravel vac.

I've also had some success with baiting a breeder box and dumping it out into my holding tank or bucket whenever someone ventures in, but it can take awhile.

no they are plain pearl danios

that isn't my photo btw

image.jpeg.a9c7caa8fdbc58e2e3926a461458b04e.jpeg

but that is a good idea

13 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

I netted out some zebra danios from my 20 long by feeding them right next to the net. It took a couple feedings to catch all 6, but they usually are too preoccupied with the food to worry about the net.

I will try that.

Also I have been talking with the president of NWAAS about doing a club meeting over google meet.

Edited by quirkylemon103

I usually end up using two nets, one big one I keep stationary on the side of the root, the other to go after the fish in question, by the time they come around the root it is too late for them to notice they are now in the big net and on their way up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

I usually end up using two nets, one big one I keep stationary on the side of the root, the other to go after the fish in question, by the time they come around the root it is too late for them to notice they are now in the big net and on their way up.

so I tried that yesterday and it didn't work well. probably because of the plants, cords, and airline.

• Like 1

I have the best luck with a tiny net.  I have a 2" one that I like the best because I can get around all my plants and stuff better with that one.  I usually feed and try to net while they're distracted.  That said, it took me over a week of multiple daily tries to get the last of my guppies!  That guy was SNEAKY and FAST!

• Administrators

Drain the water level, so it's at the top of your net. Set your net up in the corner as a trap, then use your hand to herd them into it. Then close the net against the glass.

4 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

When I really want to catch fish easily I wait until the lights are out and when the room is dark I'll use a red headlamp to see them, they hardly see the net coming. 

ok will try that tonight

3 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

@quirkylemon103If they can see the net ahead of time it's all over. I use that one big square net and a small round shrimp net of 1.5"  diameter opening with a telescopic arm, that way I can maneuver it through the plants without tearing up the botanics.

I think I will use my hand instead of a net. since they are used to it from planting and moving plants 

• Like 1

That might work! My big grabbers are too big to go where that little net can go, and my arms too short unless I'd get a step stool and my height is pretty average with 5' 9", and it's only a 75 gallon tank.

Edited by Jungle Fan

I dim the lights and use a big net,  have it waiting below the swim line.   I send mine to one end of the tank to distract and net up from bellow.  Once you start chasing them you might as well give up, until they trust you again..that  might take a few hours or a day.  Of course you know the "last fish" is going to give you a run for your money! They alway do...:classic_wink:

Edited by Trish