Need some help diagnosing molly

MollyMomma

Hi, I've never posted here before. I have a planted freshwater 20g with 4 mollies in it, some fry & a juvenile BN pleco it's been running for about 1 year. I have not had illness in it since August- there was 1 fish with a fungal infection. A few days ago my male sailfin molly started exhibiting odd behavior. Tail standing, head up, and spinning around. I cant find any other symptoms. I've kept mollies for upwards of 7 years & have never seen this before. No others in tank seem effected. I added new plants a few months ago but I always QT them first.

Parameters: Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrate: under 20ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Chlorine: 0 GH: very hard 150-300ppm Alkalinity (KH) 60ppm PH: 7.6 temp is set for 78° 

Tonight I came home & he was curled up at the top of the tank inside a floating water sprite with 2 week old molly fry. Im baffled. I posted this on Fishlore a few days ago but no replies. Hoping someone can help! Im unsure of how to upload a photo.

To upload a photo, click "choose files" at the bottom of the text box you're writing a reply in, and upload a photo from your computer or your phone. 

It sounds to me like your molly may have a damaged swim bladder. Sometimes they repair themselves . . . sometimes not. Now whether it is due to another sickness, or to some hard knock, it's hard to say. Off hand, I do not know what to recommend. You might look up "damaged swim bladder" or "how to treat a damaged swim bladder" in a search here on the forum or online and see what comes up.  

Edited by Fish Folk

Thanks, that was my first thought- but I've never had to deal with swim bladder so I'm a little in the dark. Let me try a photo. its like he is stuck in a vertical position, and spinning sometimes, tonight He's curled up in the water sprite. He is part of my breeding pair, so im quite fond of him. I did a WC today & took out 6 gallons. Then added 7 new. Did filter maintenance & im not sure if it even helped him. I will research swim bladder more ty

20210227_185432.jpg

20210227_185531.jpg

20210227_185511.jpg

20210227_185806.jpg

20210301_214841.jpg

If it swim bladder I would Qarantine if you can don't feed for a couple of days and add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons after a couple of days offer deshelled peas some swim bladder problem are caused by a bacterial infection you could try treating with maracyn

Edited by Colu