Netting for Jumping Fish

CorydorasEthan

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a netting suggestion for my 29 gallon aquarium. I already have a glass lid, but it has an open area towards the back to make room for equipment. I inquire about the netting because I now have had three guppies that jumped out and dried up on the floor/on top of the lid (jumped from the opening to the top of the lid), and I need something to keep them from doing this.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

hmm....but why are they jumping? Mine generally only jump because someone is chasing them. I think your best bet would be some window screen. You can easily cut it to fit and just tape it to the rim.

There is nothing in the tank that is aggressive or chases them. The only in inhabitants are them (really they are guppy/endler hybrids), a wide assortment of cory cats, a very peaceful siamese algae eater, a group of tiny newly introduced otos, some assassin snails, and a pair of amano shrimp. The male guppies chase the females sometimes, but I have only found one female jumped (she was the one on the lid) and the other two were males, who ended up on the floor. The water level is pretty high, which might be the cause. In addition, the area where they seem to jump out has an airstone/bubble curtain directly under it, which might be pushing them upward when they swim there, although I doubt it would push them all the way out of the aquarium without them actually jumping away from something.

My guppies seem to jump when they are moved to a new tank. Once they settle in, I never had a problem. I thought guppies were known jumpers in general though. I always try to keep a lid for guppies for the most part.

I’ve used spare acrylic pieces, stainless steel mesh, and window screen. They all do the job depending on the situation of the opening.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

I thought guppies were known jumpers in general though. I always try to keep a lid for guppies for the most part.

I have had guppies in open top tanks for months in overstocked conditions and never had jumpers unless something was trying to eat them, but I just realized, I also tend to crowd the top with floating plants. Maybe I was just dodging a bullet this whole time!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

There is nothing in the tank that is aggressive or chases them. The only in inhabitants are them (really they are guppy/endler hybrids), a wide assortment of cory cats, a very peaceful siamese algae eater, a group of tiny newly introduced otos, some assassin snails, and a pair of amano shrimp. The male guppies chase the females sometimes, but I have only found one female jumped (she was the one on the lid) and the other two were males, who ended up on the floor. The water level is pretty high, which might be the cause. In addition, the area where they seem to jump out has an airstone/bubble curtain directly under it, which might be pushing them upward when they swim there, although I doubt it would push them all the way out of the aquarium without them actually jumping away from something.

My guppies do not jump   I have many of them.  They do however enjoy playing in the water flow and riding the current.  Maybe that is what they are doing?  If so maybe a slight adjustment will minimize this for you

• Thanks 1