Brine shrimp hatchery trouble

Leo2o915

53 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

Are you using the included airstone or just the rigid tube? 

If the latter, add a short piece of airline tubing to the end of the rigid tube to make it reach the bottom. It's a tight fit but you can get it on there. 

I also have good result running airline up the spout. 

Yeah Cory said don’t use the air stone so I didn’t so add the airline tube to the tube it will fit ? How much do you add

25 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I have read where others have shoved the airline up the drain hole with much success.   I happened to have some stiffer CO2 line and just cut to proper length.

I’m going to try the Adding the airline tube 

I've never considered to hot but I'm sure there is a threshold.  I keep mine 82-85 F.  And store your eggs in the fridge, and if you buy bulk keep about a weeks worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

Brine Shrimp Direct says

Temperature:
Optimum water temperature for a 24-hour complete hatch is 80-82°F (26-28°C). Lower temperatures will result in a longer hatching time and inefficient hatches. Do not exceed 86° (30°C). Do not place an immersion heater directly into your hatching container! An immersion bath is a preferred method to maintain constant hatching temperatures. Alternatively, an incandescent bulb placed above the hatching cone can provide sufficient heat in the right environment.

Edited by KBOzzie59
A quick Google
  • Like 1

I've actually been using a 10w heater on a heater controller to keep the temp constant, directly in the brine solution, with no ill effects. 

Here are some pics of my setup and the bit of tubing I added to the rigid part. It looks like total overkill just to hatch some brine shrimp, but it's working for me to get a consistent daily hatch. 

IMG_20200825_155512.jpg

IMG_20200825_155531.jpg

IMG_20200825_155802.jpg

And that glass thermometer it comes with? I dropped and broke that day one. 

Edited by StephenP2003
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

I've actually been using a 10w heater on a heater controller to keep the temp constant, directly in the brine solution, with no ill effects. 

Here are some pics of my setup and the bit of tubing I added to the rigid part. It looks like total overkill just to hatch some brine shrimp, but it's working for me to get a consistent daily hatch. 

IMG_20200825_155512.jpg

IMG_20200825_155531.jpg

IMG_20200825_155802.jpg

Me too broke it day one lol so I’m not going to be putting it in my garage then lol that thing gets above 85 

On 8/25/2020 at 2:04 PM, StephenP2003 said:

IMG_20200825_155512.jpg

IMG_20200825_155531.jpg

IMG_20200825_155802.jpg

I have an extra controller so I tried this with a little 10w heater. Works really well. I don't heat that room in the winter so this was always going to be necessary. I'm still tinkering but this got me on the right track. Thanks.

• Like 2

I don't know the exact threshold for "too hot" by the way, but yesterday I forgot to put the thermometer part of the heater controller in for a few hours, and the brine shrimp water was 94 degrees. But today's harvest was still very good, maybe even a little better. The heat probably matters a lot more once they start hatching and need oxygen.