Methylene blue

Rob13

When I dose meth blue the color fades to clear overnight. Does it need to be redosed or is it still working? As far as I can tell the blue oxidizes fades in color but remains effective. Just don't want my angel eggs to fungus again first time with meth blue. Thanks

I just had the same experience. I had eggs on a stone placed in a lee's specimen container with only an air stone. Dosed with methylene blue to a moderate tint but it faded pretty quickly. Eggs got Fungus.

I also have a gallon jug of tinted water that sits in a dark cupboard and hasn't lost any color at all after a couple of months. I wonder if light and/or air cause it to break down.

Are you guys using the bottle recommended dose? I could be wrong but methylene blue is blue by nature and if it loses it's color it has become something else and is no longer effective. In my experience even in aerated water in direct sunlight it will last much longer than over nite. Sounds like something it pulling it out, are you running carbon filtration?

Just in a lee's specimen container hanging inside the tank with an airstone, no other filtration. Dosage was below a medicinal dose I'm sure. I heard I recommendation once to add just enough to tint the water so that's what I tried. 

I did notice though that the silicon airline tube was deep blue when I broke it all down. Maybe it absorbed much of it? I dosed again after the water clarified the first time and the water held it's blue color after that. Still got Fungus though, I think I missed my window to prevent it.