How do I get Vallisneria to grow?

I've had my Vallisneria for several months now (since mid-December) and it still hasn't grown much at all. I expected it to grow up to the top of the tank (29 gallon tank, so 18 inches tall) and to send out runners all the time. But mine is only about four inches tall with a one inch runner. Any ideas of improving the growth of my vallisneria?

I use pool filter sand, with plently of fish waste in the sand, so I thought that should provide good plant food. I don't dose any fertilizers, so I am thinking of getting some easy green or root tabs. Which of these would you recommend? I also have a 30 inch Nicrew light. Other plants include Java fern, crypt wendtii, dwarf hairgrass, water sprite (huge), and dwarf aquarium lily (also huge). Do you think that the bigger plants might be sucking up all of the nutrients?

Thanks.

10 hours ago, lefty o said:

the sand gives zero nutrients. the fish waste helps.  i would likely opt for both root tabs, and easy green.

10 hours ago, lefty o said:

the sand gives zero nutrients. the fish waste helps.  i would likely opt for both root tabs, and easy green.

I would second that with one caveat, start a little slow on the fertilizers to let everything balance out and adapt. Once the plants get off and running you can bump the amounts and not grow a bunch of algae or put your nitrates through the roof. A couple months of ramp up in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started my tank around mid-October, and my single Val has shown the most growth out of all my plants. It reaches the top of my 20 Long and has sent runners to most of the length of the background. I have even had to cut out ambitious runners trying to get to the foreground.

I had initially set up the tank with root tabs, but I have not had to give the Val any substrate nutrients since then. I dose a minimal amount of liquid ferts once a week. I think Val does a decent job of water column feeding despite being a soil feeder. 

I have VERY hard well water, btw.

• Thanks 1

I think that the pool filter sand granule size is usually too small for most plant roots. I would try to put root tabs and also, if possible, try to use a substrate that isn't as fine as pool filter sand. You can use things like all purpose sand or multi purpose sand although they are extremely dirty so you have to rinse them. Overall, just try to fertilize and use root tabs. Good Luck! 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I've had my Vallisneria for several months now (since mid-December) and it still hasn't grown much at all. I expected it to grow up to the top of the tank (29 gallon tank, so 18 inches tall) and to send out runners all the time. But mine is only about four inches tall with a one inch runner. Any ideas of improving the growth of my vallisneria?

The vallaineria was supposed to be my first low-medium light, idiot proof background plant in my 29 also..  I think that sometimes it just doesn't grow in some environments.  I have 3 surviving Jungle Val runners that have not grown an inch in years. The parent plants are long gone.  One is in its original gravel setting with plenty of ferts and light, but no growth.  The second plant is in the same tank, but is free floating. It has grown some growth, probably due to the more intense light. The third plant was moved to pool sand with low light and an occasional root tab.  I looks healthier (greener with more roots), but is still less than an inch tall.  

On the flip side, the single Italian Val purchased in November is thriving.  Stick with the root tabs and be patient.  It could still happen.

• Thanks 1

I have a 55 with pool filter sand and the kit lights that came with a Petsmart tanks kit.  I have hard water too.  When I first planted the jungle Val, I used root tabs and the substrate was also enriched by fish poo and I did use Easy Green when I remembered to.  It did take a while (months) for it to get established and then it took off.  Last weekend I harvested a five gallon bucket of jungle Val to keep it restricted to where I want it.  Pool filter sand doesn’t bother Jungle Val once it is established in your tank.  It’s powerful stuff!😂   (Pictures are before and after I took the machete to the jungle.)

C0DF58A8-3B87-4408-A3C9-012EFAEE13FC.png

0B5FD65E-F88F-468C-8AF6-F14838EABE5C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1