Betta Tank Mates Suggestions

FrozenFins

What fish should I get for my betta?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• Neon Tetra
    • Chilli Rasbora

Hey fellow nerms,

I am wanting to give my betta some freinds. He is in a 5 gallon aquarium (fluval spec 5) and it WILL be heavily planted (HUGE plant order coming in soon). I know lots of people say that 10 gallon is probably best is if you want betta tank mates, but I have seen it been done in 5 gallons before. I figured that if it doesn't work out then I will just remove the fish and put them in my community tank.

So here are my options...

-Neon Tetras (6)

-Chilli Rasboras (6)

I beleive that the chilli rasbora is smaller then the neon tetras, and there is a big hole in my lid that I would have to cover up if I do get neon tetras.

I have kept many betta with tank mates in smaller tanks.  Seems to very on how nippy they get based on personality. Also faster fish and the betta eventually just gives up. I had a 7 gallon high planted tank I would throw depressed bettas I adopted in and re-home them when they got better.

I voted chilli rasbora 

I agree that the blue  in the neons would really set off the coloration of a yellow/gold betta.  That said, my neons kind of freaked out my betta when I first introduced them.  He chased them around flaring, so I put him in an XL breeder box for 2 days and then tried again, and he's been 100% fine and chill for the last few months.  The neons are a lot faster than he is, but he also isn't flaring or chasing them anymore.  That said, they're in a 20 gallon together, so not sure how he'd feel about them in a 5.  

I've always wanted to try chili rasboras--they are some of the cutest nano fish out there IMO, but I have hard/high PH water so haven't tried them.  I really don't think you can go wrong with either pick!

Agreed that the colours of a neon tetra would look really good with a betta, although my only concern would be that some of them can get nearly half the size of a betta which might be kind of cramped? I really love chili rasboras (despite not having kept them lol.) Maybe green neon tetras if you like the neon tetras?

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
Making the post legible since I can't type lol

40 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Agreed that the colours of a neon tetra would look really good with a betta, although my only concern would be that some of them can get nearly half the size of a betta which might be kind of cramped? I really love chili rasboras (despite not having kept them lol.) Maybe green neon tetras if you like the neon tetras?

The regular neon tetras are smaller then the greens, so I will probably go with the regular.

Normally my vote would have been for the Neons but they are majorly dependent on numbers in their well being and I generally would not place them in any of my tanks unless there are at least 10 or 12 of them and that would be a little cramped in a 5 gallon.

8 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

@James Black don't neon tetras get to 1.2 inches normally, then green neons grow up to 1 inch? I haven't kept them so this is just what I'm reading online, also neon tetras could go with the betta, might just depend on the betta?

I thought it was the other way around, neone tetras 1" and green neons at 1.2".

Yes it will depend on the betta, after owning this betta for a month a two now I'm sure he will tolerate some tank mates, worst case scenario I have to put the future tank mates to my community tank.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...