Not sure what this is please help save my water babies.

WhiteShadow

Hello all

I have not seen this before and need help before it kills my fish.  I thought it was Ick but it has not responded to IchX, been treating for 5+ days.  I also added maracyn to the water thinking it was bacterial, it has been two days on maracyn no improvement.  Have any of you seen this before and can tell me how to get rid of it. It is only on my electric Blue Acaras. I tried to get the best picture I could, it is alot of tiny white dots on fins of fish. I do not see any of this on my tiger barbs or bristle nose plecos.20210301_083745.jpg.e2d3b21e0f26804e15ea9febb87f8fb4.jpg

There are three Electric Blue Acara that have it some worse than others.

PARAMETERS:

NH3/NH4= maybe .5 had to tell with test strips, have new master test kit on its way.

NO2=0

NO3=20ppm

They have been acting normal and eating normally as well.

ichX does not kill adult ich which is the white spots you see. It stops reproduction and kills the free swimming parasites. The adults will reach the end of their lifecycle and fall off eventually. 

Are your Acara's exhibiting stress behaviors? ie: darting, scraping, "flashing" If not I would just be patient

• Like 2

I have to say, that still looks like Ich. I agree with @Biotope Biologist. Do the specks change arrangement every few days? like new ones appear and old ones go away? 

Ich spends part of its life in your substrate, and the only time you can kill it is when it is between the substrate and the fish. If you are not already, gravel vaccing daily can shorten the amount of time you have to treat. So can increasing your tank's temp, which speeds up the protazoa's live cycle, but this is a lot like a human headlice outbreak, persistance and diligence are the key.

• Like 1

They seem to be acting normal.  Should i keep doing partial water changes and adding more ichx every day?  I have about five days worth in the tank already.  How much is too much?  I don't think that the spots are changing everyday. I am not seeing any other white spots on any other fish in the tank, isn't that weird that ich hasn't found any of them?

16 minutes ago, WhiteShadow said:

They seem to be acting normal.  Should i keep doing partial water changes and adding more ichx every day?  I have about five days worth in the tank already.  How much is too much?  I don't think that the spots are changing everyday. I am not seeing any other white spots on any other fish in the tank, isn't that weird that ich hasn't found any of them?

There is no such thing as too much over time--the ichX breaks down within 24h, it does not build up. Sort of like taking atibiotics, you want to keep taking it until the disease is totally gone. It isn't really weird--the ichX is doing its job, stopping new infections, and the other fish may have better, less stressed immune systems if they were in the tank a while already. The spots on your EBAs should start decreasing slowly soon, as the remaining ich completes it's life cycle. Keep treating and come back in a week if there is still no change or if things get worse.

• Like 1

When my tank got ich, I treated for 12 days to make sure I got everything. The white spots do take time to heal up. Don’t worry! The ich-x is doing its job.

What’s the temperature of your tank? At lower temps the ich’s life cycle moves more slowly so you may have to treat for even longer. My tank was at 80 degrees F.

I would recommend using IchX for at least 12 days in a row. Follow the instructions on the bottle just like you were doing before. It can definitely start to look worse before it gets better, since ichX will only kill the parasite at a certain stage of its life cycle. Hang in there!! Rooting for your fish!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am saddened to report that I lost the battle against ich/velvet. It took all three of my EBA.  I tried everything I could think of nothing seemed to help, ichx and cupramine had no effect. They fought a brave fight and tried as hard as I did to beat it, but in the end it was just too much.  RIP EBAs

• Sad 2