Introducing.....ME! Hi! I am new here!

I have had tank for 25 of the last 40 years and have decided to get a bit more serious.  My current tank is a lonely 20 gallon but a 55 is coming soon!   This one will be done correctly from the start.   Lots of plants!

I bought my first test strips and they are depressing!  I recently had a smelly (sulfur) tank and am trying to fix it up.  I have 1 surviving platy, 4 neon, 4 zebra, 3 cory and a snail.  Daily water changes.  I am determined to get it right for my fishy friends!

I also keep goldfish in a pond in my yard.  They have been living there for about 6 or 7 years now, breeding and seemingly happy now that the raccoons have moved on.

Thanks for any advice and best wishes from my fish tank to yours!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! It’s a great place for support and community. 

Last year I upsized from a 25gallon to a 75 gallon. It’s been amazing! I went with the 75 because I wanted to do a planted tank. 

Can I ask why 55 gallon? The reason that I ask is because the 55 has 12” from back to front, and if you want a planted tank that 18” depth (front to back) makes planting so much more enjoyable. My 26g had 12” front to back and I was constantly running out of room. If a 75 gallon is a possibility you might consider the benefits. 

Either way, I am sure you are going to enjoy the new tank!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mitch Norton said:

Welcome to the forum! It’s a great place for support and community. 

Last year I upsized from a 25gallon to a 75 gallon. It’s been amazing! I went with the 75 because I wanted to do a planted tank. 

Can I ask why 55 gallon? The reason that I ask is because the 55 has 12” from back to front, and if you want a planted tank that 18” depth (front to back) makes planting so much more enjoyable. My 26g had 12” front to back and I was constantly running out of room. If a 75 gallon is a possibility you might consider the benefits. 

Either way, I am sure you are going to enjoy the new tank!

Honestly, I have no idea.  I just checked the length of a 75 and it will work and the cost isn't much more.  Thanks for giving me something to consider.  I know I don't want a tall tank as I am not.  Climbing on a step stool, well, I don't want to be found tipped over in a lifeless lump on the floor or floating in the tank. (I'm only 5 ft tall and bent a little, I would fit)

How many plants do you have in your current tank?

• Like 1

The 75 should be about the same length and height as the 55, but you will have more front to back depth. 6” will give you a lot more room for plants. 

I have a lot of Cryptocorynes, four Amazon Swords, two Anubis Barteri , Java Fern, several Anubias Nano Petite, several Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, Dwarf Chain Swords, Vallesineria, floating some Warer Sprite, and I just added some Crypt Parva. 

I’ve been trying various plants trying to determine what I can grow successfully.

8ECCFDCE-7C35-4892-997A-CF4DB9A58776.jpeg

55985512-7932-49C5-8648-BEEA1E2F6A72.jpeg

• Like 1