Fluval Chi tank filter Question

GoldenGardner

HI All, I got a Fluval Chi tank, like in the picture below for a baby guppy tank or quarantine tank. 
I also have a Aquarium COOP filter in there to give it it's good bacteria from the other tank. The filter that comes with the CHI and has a light with it, is over top. I think that it's sucking the food in after I feed the baby guppies. Do you think I can tank that off the tank if I have the other filter in there? It also has a light attached and I don't believe I can just have the light functioning and not the filter. I read that baby guppies need at least 12 hours of light. They'll get the room light during the day but that's not directly on the tank. 

What do you think? 

81DOCbBZUnL._AC_SX425_.jpg

@Lynze did you get rid of the filter material altogether? 

@mn-aquarist, I may just do that. I do like the LED changable lights, so I may need to wait a bit for that. 

Another question about filter material. I am getting a pleco today from a guy in our neighborhood, and I want to do a quarantine trio on the tank when I add him in, I took out the charcoal filter material from my FLUVAL 206 filter system. Do I need to keep that wet for the week while it's not in there? Or can it dry out? 

3 minutes ago, Lynze said:

Yes I ripped the whole thing out and tossed it. I run over 30 tanks so I had cycled sponge filters laying around. For awhile I used a clip on light, but now it sits under one long light. If I ever move it I will probably use another clip on. 

Ok great. I'll toss it too, I really like the Aquarium COOP Filter. 

I have a too large of Aquarium COOP Filter in there right now, because I didn't have a smaller one, once I have the smaller one in the big tank for a week I'm going to switch the two filters. It's only been functioning in the big tank for 4 days. I had issues hooking it up to my whisper. But I have that all figured out now. 

Edited by GoldenGardner