Kribs - All the fight.........no breeding/fry

Windellberry

Have had my kribs for a few months now, in a 40G with some neon tetras, Khuli Loachs and hillstream locahes.

The Kribs are definately in the mood, turning pink and dancing around each other. They also have a few caves etc that the female will sit in every now and then.

But.....no fry. I have seen eggs, but pretty sure that they are not viable and have been dumped just outside the cave.

Any thoughts? worried that the male is inferitle. He does not seem to go into the cave with the female, but does do all the dancing, shaking and what not!

Edited by Windellberry

Maybe try to condition them really well. I would try feeding some live blackworms or live bloodworms. Also, try to do some water changes to have really clean water. You could try to separate the eggs from the parents. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Windellberry said:

Have had my kribs for a few months now, in a 40G with some neon tetras, Khuli Loachs and hillstream locahes.

The Kribs are definately in the mood, turning pink and dancing around each other. They also have a few caves etc that the female will sit in every now and then.

But.....no fry. I have seen eggs, but pretty sure that they are not viable and have been dumped just outside the cave.

Any thoughts? worried that the male is inferitle. He does not seem to go into the cave with the female, but does do all the dancing, shaking and what not!

In general, once the Kribs are mature, they tend to work things out very well. If you have photos or video, that might unpackaged other things to discuss. 

Here are a couple videos we made back last year or so when we were breeding them for BAP. At the end, we posted a spawning report outline that scrolls. Once the fry mature in your water, they'll really color up wonderfully. Unfortunately, they take a while to really grow. 

• Like 1

I kept Kribs with a bunch of Kuhli Loaches and recently moved the loaches to a different tank. The Kribs had a big spawn for the first time in about 6 months, so I figured the loaches were getting in their caves and eating the eggs at night. I've heard some people leave the lights on 24/7 so the parents can protect their eggs/fry better. Though this could probably cause an algae outbreak. Just throwing that out there, can't say for sure but when I kept them with other bottom dwellers it appears they were less successful.

• Like 2