How many kuhli loaches for 10 gallon?

gogomarigo

It seems like most sources recommend a tank at least 24” long for kuhli loaches and to get a minimum of three.

I’ve seen a number of videos were Cory recommends kuhlis for 10 gallons though. If they’re in a heavily planted tank with mid-level nano fish and neo shrimp, is three still the recommended minimum?

Yes, if you would like to see these loaches then 3 would be the minnimum. A 10 gallon is a 20" tank I beleive and would be fine for probably 4. Remember the more kuhli loaches, the more you will see these loaches. They hide lots.

It isn't necessary to have 3, all though they would benefit from eachothers company.

Happy Fish Keeping!

• Like 1

As long as you aren't running into any water quality problems, three to six should be fine.  I have four in a ten gallon community tank at the moment with celestial pearl danios, cherry shrimp, and mystery snails. Everything is working out great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have to laugh or cry?  We have a 10g.  It was set up to be a temporary QT tank for 7 Kuhlis, before transferring them.  They are still there and it is almost a year later? 

Not sure what to say. Still debating on moving them on or starting another tank with them or just adding something for the top? 😉  But as stated 1 year later all 7 hanging in there.  We see them through the day here or there, and at feeding time of course.  When purchasing, I was thinking of 3 but so somewhere 6 recommended.  So I went with it. Not going to lie, the more the merrier.  It is Fun seeing more interacting together if you can do it.  But I think 3 would be fine too. 🙂   I believe I had 3 many many years ago.

• Like 1

I ended up getting two from the Co-op!

I was worried about them being shy/timid especially the first few weeks but both have been out and about even during daytime/when the light is on. Love to see them wiggling across the tank wall 🙂

Sometimes the Pygmy Corys shoal with them😂 and I realized they remind me of Tigger’s tail from Winnie the Pooh!

6D2C1F77-EDB8-4DFB-A8BC-DFC70DE0DB5B.jpeg

• Like 4