Meet the boys

Jimmy Cleveland

These are light Brahma chickens I called them the boys just because. even though they are all hen's I've had them since they've been a few weeks old. When I got them last year it was originally too cold at night for them to be outside so they ended up staying almost 3 weeks in my house in the tub here I had actually trained one of my cats to sit and guard them. My cats don't go outside so I don't know how they would interact now

20210228_130557_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-18-20-43-17.png

• Like 9

I love baby chickens.  A buddy of mine was setting up a coup and he let us pickout and raise 2 chicks in a tub in our living room.  once they were too big they joined the others outside but it was super fun to have them hanging out with us. 

Beautiful “boys!” Here are my six. As a group I usually just call them the birds. All hens, two Orpingtons and four Easter Eggers that all lay light blue eggs.

A4F3EF8B-628D-4DE7-82F7-F7F171FF530F.jpeg.2735b86d0606d9f730a9a37d015c29b3.jpeg

When I let the cat out in the backyard they leave each other alone, but she looooves to leap out and surprise them when they’re standing at the glass door.

• Like 4

^Truth.

My chickens are not very smart unfortunately. They definitely have no concept of object permanence. If the compost bowl is empty and I pick it up again, they think it’s suddenly full of food. Conversely, if I stick the carton of oats under my coat, it’s as if I was never holding anything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does yours follow you around the yard? Mine will once they're done rooting around they specially run up to me and lock up when I go to get on my motorcycle like they want to ride on it with me. They are pretty stubborn but when they're not being stubborn they actually listen to me pretty good I'll tell him to get out of the garage and they will and 8 times out of 10 when I tell them to go to their Coop they will. I think it's because I won over the leader which is the biggest one by having her come around the yard with me and showing her the few spots I had set up with patio pavers and flip them over and show her the worms and things that live under there. They haven't laid their first eggs yet but I believe they will soon because when I yell at them to get in a Cooper out of the garage they will squat down like they're going to poop but they don't so I think their eggs are starting to develop.

• Like 1

Argh this thread is making me wish I had a bigger yard and that I weren't in the middle of the woods, full of hawks, eagles, raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, fisher cats, basically every north american creature that would eat a chicken or duck. I'd have to build a maximum security bird penitentiary to keep the little darlings alive. Hmm...but it would be possible...

• Like 1

I know. I actually live in the city but where I live we have coyotes deer tons of raccoons there was even a hawk in my yard watching my chickens I chase it away it went in a tree I pointed my finger at it then shook my fist and it flew away not to mention stray dogs and cats. The Hawks are actually huge when you see them from about 15 feet away I would say it was a good three foot tall

• Like 1

I have all kinds of wild creatures that would love to make a meal out of my chickens, ducks or geese. We lock them up at night inside their coop, I buried the fencing about 6" into the ground to discourage anything from digging under the fence. The only issue we have had was a few years ago, I came home late at night from work and assumed (I know, stupid of me!) that my wife or kids had locked the coop up, but they hadn't, and something got in the one part of the coop and got a couple ducks. 

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have all kinds of wild creatures that would love to make a meal out of my chickens, ducks or geese. We lock them up at night inside their coop, I buried the fencing about 6" into the ground to discourage anything from digging under the fence. The only issue we have had was a few years ago, I came home late at night from work and assumed (I know, stupid of me!) that my wife or kids had locked the coop up, but they hadn't, and something got in the one part of the coop and got a couple ducks. 

I have alot of fox and coon also but my free range birds learn to sleep next to my dog and seem to be fine for now

• Like 1

I have a two car garage and next to it I wouldn't call it a carport but that's basically what it is it is a part of the garage so I took 4 pallets put them down through a bunch of cayenne pepper underneath there then I covered it over with plywood I didn't get them until fall last year so I have them in a very large dog crate probably 3-foot by 3-foot I put a space blanket on the top one of them heat reflective survival type blankets and I also have the crate covered in chicken wire but then I covered the outside and the top with hay and put a perch in there and a few milk crates on their side. Sometimes next week I have a shed coming that I am going to make into their new larger Coupe

5 hours ago, Jimycle said:

Does yours follow you around the yard?

Yes! Probably because half the time I have something they can eat. They also seem to feel safer out in the open when I’m around. They free range in our fenced backyard (we only have 1/3 acre).

They are pretty stubborn but when they're not being stubborn they actually listen to me pretty good I'll tell him to get out of the garage and they will and 8 times out of 10 when I tell them to go to their Coop they will.

Mine are all good listeners EXCEPT Fluffy (the Orpington in the front of the picture). She marches to the beat of her own drummer. I’ll yell and wave my arms at her when she gets in the shed, and literally as soon as I turn my back she hops back in. “You didn’t actually mean “out,” right? You couldn’t possibly be mad at me!” Same with the flock. If the top roost is full, it doesn’t matter—she’ll just flap her way up there and squish her way in. She has the most innocent face and just seems to believe deep down that no chicken or human could ever actually be upset with her! She’s raised four chicks and she’s a great mom. She knows she’s my favorite.

They haven't laid their first eggs yet but I believe they will soon because when I yell at them to get in a Cooper out of the garage they will squat down like they're going to poop but they don't so I think their eggs are starting to develop.

The Submissive Squat! Yep, their hormones are kicking in. You may see them squat if another hen gets mad at them, too. Just watch out because mine (especially Fluffy 🙄) will squat if I accidentally start to step on them. Squatting is the least helpful behavior in that situation but they only have so many brain cells, so there you go.

5 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I'd have to build a maximum security bird penitentiary to keep the little darlings alive. Hmm...but it would be possible...

Like Andy we buried the fence of the run. We actually went a full foot down and we used welded wire for the lowest five feet of fence. The top two feet and the roof are covered with chicken wire. Their coop is now a super solid off-the-ground wood structure with small gauge welded wire over the window and vents. We’re in a country neighborhood where half the neighbors have dogs and most people hunt, so we probably went overboard. Plus all that does nothing to protect them during the day when they’re in the yard. But at least at night they’re secure—as long as we close them in right at dusk.

• Like 1