Fiddler crabs and Rosy Barbs?

Lifeisgood

I have a 55 planted tank with Denison Barbs, Rosy Barbs and Hillstream loaches and a few Amano shrimp that I hardly ever see.  I realized that my driftwood has a branch that is just above the surface of the water but is still under my tank hood.  The thought occurred to me that a Fiddler crab might work in the tank if the Rosy Barbs won’t pick on them.  The barbs have not killed the shrimp but they are good at hiding.  Anyone have experience with fiddler crabs and similar type fish?

9E3DC0A6-0D2E-448E-8817-E55BD89832E7.jpeg

Fiddler crabs require brackish water to survive, so they wouldn’t be a good species for a freshwater tank with freshwater fish. A brackish tank yes. But not fresh. There are true freshwater species of crabs such as vampire crabs. With crabs it’s important to have shallow tanks with a land portion for them to live in along with a water portion. At least with vampire crabs they spend most of their time in the land portion. You could do crabs in that tank but you’ll need to do some modifications to it. Also there’s no guarantee the barbs won’t pick on them when they’re in the water portion.

Ok!  Then I will scratch that idea. 😅

There are mixed signals about what they need but now I know why more people don’t keep them—it’s because they don’t thrive in freshwater.  Like the Bumblebee goby..so cute but used to always die.  (I believe there are true freshwater Bumblebee gobies now but there weren’t until recently.). Poor things.🦀