Need some help 😟

Ohad

So frustrating,

I was doing everything right, I cycled my tank for a moth and then for the next two months everything was nice , plants growing , guppies happy .tank looking pretty.

About a week ago I did a too big of a water change about 50% I did not have enough dechlorinate water so I topped it with 2 cups of tap water.  Dumb dumb 

The results was a huge bacteria bloom , the bacteria bloom went away but now I have 0.25 ammonia not moving at all .

On top of that I see the early signs of hair algae .

The guppies seams to be in thier usual happy campers still.  I dossed fritz complete and fritz 7 bacteria. But the ammonia still does not change after 4 days.

Checking every day with API kit

I feed my fish very light so the food is not the problem I only have 4 guppies so they don't poop too much  but I do have snails poop .

Now it's a race for making sure the guppies don't get sick, the hair algae does not destroy my tank , and the plants don't dye on me if I will change the light .

Attached a picture to how much plants I have currently...

Where should I start?  what should I do first ?? 

PXL_20210226_155311450.jpg

Edited by Ohad

If you have a dechlorinator or any more dechlorinated water, I suggest that you do a big water change. If you have a dechlorinator like seachem prime, you can use the tap water, put some of the seachem prime in and put that water straight into the tank. I recommend you do a water change ASAP. Just a big 50% water change with dechlorinated water. The bacterial bloom should go away with the water changes. The algae, can be removed manually. 

• Like 1

yes I  have fritz complete from aquarium co op its strong stuff ,  I am at the moment dossing a tiny bit of it daily to bind the ammonia and adding bacteria from fritz 7 daily 
I basically need to re do the cycle since in my stupidity I killed my established bacteria but this time I have fish in the tank and plants that I worked hard on and are at risk , plus the algae threatening to destroy everything and my snails will not eat hair  algae 

I am glad you are fixing this problem through you local fish store. Beutifal tank by the way!

Anyways, to get rid of the amonia yes defently do a waterchange, its the best way to get rid of amonia.

@lefty o could be right, it seems very unlikely that only 2 cups killed off your established bacteria. 

Don't worry about the hair algae, its complety normal in new planted tanks. I would try to siphon it out and figure out how your tank is inbalnanced? excess nutrients or too much light? What are your water parameters?

A lot of the time its the light, just simply dim the light. If your light does not have a "dim mode" you can do what I did, get masken tape and put it over the lid, its really helped.

• Like 1

Agree I am not sure what did it but some how I did ... It's a small tank so easy to throw out of balance . 

The good news the guppies being guppies seams like the don't care one bit.  Still playful and active like a group of puppies