Topic related product recommendations

Cory

• Administrators

Hello everyone, you'll notice a new feature on topics. This is an algorithm that looks at what the threads are about and tries to show relevant products. This may help a few people, however I have implemented it as a means to hopefully encourage forum users to purchase with us as this forum grows. Thanks for understanding.

Screenshot_2021-02-26 Experience treating fry with salt .png

3 hours ago, FriendlyLoach said:

I like the idea of advertising related topics, however I found it sort of distracting when they were at the top, the bottom is fine, but at the top it makes it feel a bit cluttered. I don't know though. 

I agree.  I don't like them at the top either.

2 hours ago, Hobbit said:

If we’re voting on placement I vote side bar instead of top, but I know I’ll get used to it so no big deal either way.

I would much prefer having them in a side bar to at top.  There's plenty of room (at least when on my desktop).  On the side would probably be more visible than at bottom, but not as "in your face" as at top.

• Like 2

I don't want to scroll through ads to get to content on any site. The ads at the bottom felt like the videos... e.g. "by the way, we sell stuff that would be good for that". I thought that was a good idea.

Came here to echo those above.  When I click a topic now the actual content isn't even visible.  Its the webpage equivalent of a pebble in my shoe.  It's just an annoyance though.  top ads -1, ACO +1000 so on balance very happy to be here.

I never use the sidebar though so I'd be much happier with it on the right.

• Like 1

Honestly I really like the recommendations since if I'm needing to look at some product information related to a post I can go directly there through with just hitting the icon rather then going to a new tab then searching "AquariumCoop.com" then searching for the product. Just a small thing, but it's really nice (at least for me)