Rosanne

Hi, I’ve been in the hobby about a year. I have a 29, 15 both planted community tanks and a 5 with a betta. Do you ever ask a question even though you know the answer and you’re just hoping someone will say what you wanna hear, 😬that’s kind of where I’m at. Within a year I’ll probably be moving. I really want to get a 75 gallon get rid of at least the 15. It takes quite a bit of time for water changes with the three tanks and I really want to get more fish. So do you think I should wait to get to 75 until after I move? 😬 

I've got a 75 gallon and as heavy and heavily planted and scaped it is moving it would be a major undertaking. I told my wife if she wants new carpet we're cutting around the stand. Short of the Yellowstone Caldera erupting with 100% certainty and being about to take out the states around it I don't see what could get me to be moving it.

I moved 5 times in one year with 3 fish tanks, a 20 a 10 and a 5. In total it would take the better part of a day to tear down all three and get them ready for the move, and then the rest of the day to get it set back up. The biggest things to consider when it comes to the 75 is gonna be how long it’s gonna take to drain and then fill at the new place, how easy it will be to catch out all the fish, having several buckets ready to separate the fish so you don’t have too many in one bucket, and then being able to carry the 75. 75 gallon tanks brand new and completely empty take 2 people to move usually. Moving one that’s already been setup means you’ll have ~70lbs of substrate in the bottom, and hopefully you take out all the rest of the decor. It is possible to move it once it’s been setup but it will either be the same or harder to move than the tanks you have now. If you stick with the nanos, try and move each on a separate day if possible. I’ve moved everything (including all my own stuff) all on the same day and I’ve done it slowly over time with each tank going on a separate day, and separating them was MUCH easier and I was able to get them fully set back up the same day. As far as rhe move itself, regardless of which path you go, I suggest getting some USB or battery powered air pumps and sponge filters for the car ride for your fish. I’d also toss your filter media in as well if you don’t normally use the sponge filters (use the sponge filters roughly a week before the move so they’ve got some bacteria). This way you can keep the water oxygenated and somewhat filtered in the buckets with the fish while moving. Doing that will improve your chances of survival of all your fish. I was able to move with 2 days notice 18 hours without a tank and only lost 3 rummynose tetras out of 15 fish by doing this. Good luck with your move 😁

• Like 1