What is your favorite guppy strain?

Brandy

So, I have been thinking a lot about this. For guppy fans, what is everyone's CURRENT favorite strain?

Now, no fair saying "Mutts" and leaving it at that. I LOVE mutts, but I am more curious about strains people have kept, and strains they wish they could keep (or hope to keep in the future). Call it a guppy bucket list. 🙂

I am loving my metallic mutts, but I have recently gotten some of those purple dragons. They are so far slowly adapting to my water and I am gradually acclimating them to Seattle instead of Texas/Thailand. They have actually been pretty stinking awesome, popping out fry and putting on weight even as I slowy lower hardness and temperature. Beautiful, hardy so far, and prolific.

But my kid picked up some red snakeskin from ACO on a whim on last trip. They have been a little more fussy about water parameters and we have had some touch and go moments (admittedly we have been a lot less cautious, expecting them to be acclimated to local conditions already--that may have been a mistake) but they dropped their first fry and remain a fan favorite--for this fan!

What are you loving right now? Maybe you will show me my next favorite!!

When I first started off in the hobby, guppies weren't my favorite fish. I never really saw one where I said "I NEED that" or even a "thats nice". But after a year or two I have started to like guppies, not enough to setup a tank for them selves just enough for me to enjoy them in someone elses tank. 

I saw a Albino Guppy, where you could see its spinal corde, that was the first guppy where I said "If I had a tank, you would be coming home with me".

I have also really come fond of Tuxedo Koi Guppies and Panda Guppies. 

I searched up the purple dragon guppy, they look really nice.

Pair-of-Sky-Blue-Albino-Guppy-Show-Livebearer | Guppy fish, Guppy, Aquarium  fish

Guppy koi tuxedo - Poecilia reticulata - online shop

Black Panda Guppy Trio (One Male/Two Females)-Back Order - Michaels Fish  Room | Guppy, Guppy fish, Fish

• Like 2

The Japanese double sword tail (lyretail?) I think is the name.  Mine photographs as a blur (I think it's part bigfoot).  I'm not sure if I have a pure bread one or some mutt version but it looks pretty close to this I found on google and its staying smaller than the other guppies I have.  

I try not to look too hard at other guppies though.  I prefer it if I own the best one already 🙂 .

image.png.14d9040f839b28c782884d7faf813ecb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My bucket list includes Tequlia sunrise, and now the Vienna guppies from ACO...Which you have to see in person to appreciate, I think. But given my affinity for mutts, I will keep only one non mutt strain at a time or I will be overrun.

I have halfblack green cobra, Moscow Blue/turquoise and tuxedo reds in my "mutt" group. I am breeding away from the tuxedo reds though, they are nice, but not the goal I have. 🙂

Yeah, since endlers are my first love, you know I've gotta love the snakeskin/cobra patterns the most.

I have a couple local sources for mosaic dumbos, but I just don't like the dumbos for some reason. And I really want to see color and pattern on the body of the fish, male or female, not just the tail. I have enough silver fish with my female endlers and fry, thank you.

At a local pet store, I found some really cool mutts (I can only assume) with silver/turquoise bodies that go to yellow with orange/red spade tails. They look like little gas flames. Can't wait to see how they breed!

• Like 1

I searched my phone in hopes of finding a picture of my red mosaic dumbo guppy male. Alas i couldnt find one. He was the star of my guppy show, before he passed a few weeks ago. He sired quite a few mutt babies, but none looked quite like him. He was like a teacup betta. A quick google search produced images of others that sorta looked like him, but not quite. I wish i had took a picture of him. He was my favorite guppy. 

Working with a line of firecracker guppies. They were "dumbo-eared" too . . . but the genetics wear down unless you cull like crazy. The photo here is not terribly inspiring. But I moved half a dozen males to a tank for a special breeding project, and was impressed with their quality again. The sky-blue body, explosion of color in the tail, and (on occasion) the oversized dark blue pectorals . . . really special!

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.51.47 PM.png

Edited by Fish Folk

On 2/26/2021 at 2:45 AM, CT_ said:

The Japanese double sword tail (lyretail?) I think is the name.  Mine photographs as a blur (I think it's part bigfoot).  I'm not sure if I have a pure bread one or some mutt version but it looks pretty close to this I found on google and its staying smaller than the other guppies I have.  

I try not to look too hard at other guppies though.  I prefer it if I own the best one already 🙂 .

image.png.14d9040f839b28c782884d7faf813ecb.png

Looks like this could be an endler hybrid, both based on the tail as well as you saying that they stay smaller.

Edited by ererer

I have three favorites

one is the solid color tail Blue Dragon

08CC17A7-B029-40E7-82BB-AFDA59EE56F3.jpeg.d35f2392d783e5cb529cd5aa91ed8ac8.jpeg

The next I couldn’t get a picture of but is the Musseau Line of Amaerican purple gupppies.  This strain takes a while to fully reach their beautiful colors but their extra large size and gorgeous purple to lavender extra large tails are worth the wait. They are hardy and breed true putting off different shades of blue purples .   
Lastly I recently received the red cobra snake skin guppy pair.  Even the female has red fins.  The male is stunning.  I tried so hard to get a good pic but they all turn out blurry.  Too bad you cannot see his body markings in this pic. It really is special

9A88F956-38DA-44A6-9B55-E8800ABAF315.jpeg.451cd3ef3c1ac258b26bf6899404bd37.jpeg53DFDA79-EF7E-4886-ADF3-A30417DDDBBC.jpeg.01421001060dd199b5f6fdb93a320d53.jpeg

• Like 1