Stressed betta

Chloe and Delta

Hey all, I got my new betta today and it's been glass surfing for the past 7 hours. My lfs imports bettas from Thailand and Indonesia, and they only had the one I got for about a week. I was wondering how long it took for your bettas to fully settle in, and if this is abnormal. I'm a bit worried about the little one. 

- Parameters are good, I obtained cycled media from a local facebook group member and have been testing every day in the days before getting the betta.

- Temp is at 78. 

- I have 3 little terracotta pots on the bottom, I've got the light off, and there's live plants but they look kind of decrepit right now because I just planted all the plants. 

I've had mine since February 14 and he still glass surfs. He did a quick "once-through" around the tank, exploring around/through all the decor and plants. Then he hung out in the back going back and forth between the sponge filter and the HOB, having a blast in the bubbles and filter flow. (My rasboras did that as well in their tank when they went in - the younger ones still do.) He spent some time on both sides going up and down, back and forth. Now he likes doing a loop around the front, under and over the big leaf on his now-beloved anubias plant. I'm assuming (hoping, too!) it's because they're "teens" when sold and full of energy, and that once settled in (a few weeks or months?) he will calm down and do more casual exploring. But being a plakat, maybe not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I've had mine since February 14 and he still glass surfs. He did a quick "once-through" around the tank, exploring around/through all the decor and plants. Then he hung out in the back going back and forth between the sponge filter and the HOB, having a blast in the bubbles and filter flow. (My rasboras did that as well in their tank when they went in - the younger ones still do.) He spent some time on both sides going up and down, back and forth. Now he likes doing a loop around the front, under and over the big leaf on his now-beloved anubias plant. I'm assuming (hoping, too!) it's because they're "teens" when sold and full of energy, and that once settled in (a few weeks or months?) he will calm down and do more casual exploring. But being a plakat, maybe not. 

Aww, your fish sound adorable.  Your betta has a swimming routine! Yeah, mine did a lot of curious exploring at first. Yes, my lfs said that he/she is 3 to 4 months old. It was able to eat some bloodworms about 3 hours in, but seemed distracted and was swimming elsewhere. About 8 hours in I was able to feed it more bloodworms, and there was a lot more concentration on eating. It's started to slow down too as of the last 2 hours. 

My betta did that at first for a couple days, then once again when I think he was mad at me for adding tankmates (29 gal with black neons) or doing a water change.

The second time I distracted him with a quick reflection (a mirror) followed by a treat of  few freeze dried bloodworms. After that he was back to "normal." Normal for my betta is curiously wandering all around the tank, going in and out of branches, around plants, between his moss ball and the glass. He doesn't sit still.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jefferypink said:

My betta did that at first for a couple days, then once again when I think he was mad at me for adding tankmates (29 gal with black neons) or doing a water change.

The second time I distracted him with a quick reflection (a mirror) followed by a treat of  few freeze dried bloodworms. After that he was back to "normal." Normal for my betta is curiously wandering all around the tank, going in and out of branches, around plants, between his moss ball and the glass. He doesn't sit still.  

Ok, that makes me feel better. Good to know, not planning on adding tankmates and it makes sense that it'd get stressed with a water change. He's still glass surfing today, although wasn't as much in the morning. I added a piece of driftwood for tannins and plan on just keeping a steady schedule. XD yeah I don't think my betta is going to be able to sit still either.