How to Decide??? Platys, Swordtails...

KaitieG

I'm working on purchasing stock for the 95 gallon display tank we're setting up.  There's a local club auction with some very nice livebearers.  Last month there was nothing I wanted, and this month there are several appealing options. Here's the stocking plan (what I already have is in bold)

Guppies 

Green Corys

1 Angelfish (added last after I have some less-edible size juveniles then serving as population control help) 

Dwarf Chain Loaches

Hillstream Loaches

Platys

Here's where I run into my lack of decision.  I've decided I want platys for a few reasons: the male/females both being colored; size; color varieties to complement my guppy strains; peaceful disposition, etc.

There's an assorted group of 6 platys available but there's also a really nice looking group of Koi Swordtails that keep catching my eye.  I've heard swordtails are generally more aggressive and was therefore going to avoid them with the guppies and Angelfish, but I've never kept them.  So, platys vs. koi swordtails.  Any opinions?  How aggressive are swordtails compared to platys?  I'm open to any thoughts and considerations!

Don't get me wrong, I love my platies and would recommend them to anyone who wants a carefree, colorful bunch of fish. But for a large tank I say go big and get some swordtails, just make sure to have no more than one male, and remove any male fry as quickly as you can identify them. If they're still too feisty, you can always rehome them and get some gentler platies.

7 hours ago, KaitieG said:

I'm working on purchasing stock for the 95 gallon display tank we're setting up.  There's a local club auction with some very nice livebearers.  Last month there was nothing I wanted, and this month there are several appealing options. Here's the stocking plan (what I already have is in bold)

Guppies 

Green Corys

1 Angelfish (added last after I have some less-edible size juveniles then serving as population control help) 

Dwarf Chain Loaches

Hillstream Loaches

Platys

Here's where I run into my lack of decision.  I've decided I want platys for a few reasons: the male/females both being colored; size; color varieties to complement my guppy strains; peaceful disposition, etc.

There's an assorted group of 6 platys available but there's also a really nice looking group of Koi Swordtails that keep catching my eye.  I've heard swordtails are generally more aggressive and was therefore going to avoid them with the guppies and Angelfish, but I've never kept them.  So, platys vs. koi swordtails.  Any opinions?  How aggressive are swordtails compared to platys?  I'm open to any thoughts and considerations!

It's really a personal preference.  I am partial to Platies, especially the Red Wag & Variatus.  My Platies can be still "nippy" though, but not terribly.  

I don't have experience with keeping the loaches but I have kept swordtails mollies and platies and guppy all together as long as there's enough hiding spots and visual breaks especially if you want them to breed as long as they have enough room to run away hide and enough fish to divert aggression 

Edited by Kristianmunn156

Thank you for all of the responses!  I went ahead and emailed the seller, too, since she was selling both platies and swordtails (and mollies) and asked for her experiences with this particular line of fish. She keeps them all together along with guppies with no issues except some male-male aggression within the species. 

The lot for sale is 5 juvenile fish, so they're unsexed, but I do have an LFS that has been good about taking my extra guppies and 2 extra tanks where they could potentially go if there are too many males causing issues as they mature.  I'm leaning towards trying the group of swords (they are SO darn cute right now!) and if I end up hating them and they're fighting all the time, I can find them a new home (or re-auction them, right?)  I'd love something that gets a little bigger--the guppies beautiful but look kind of small.  They're staying anyway, and I know the angel will eventually be large, but it'd be nice to have some fish in the middle size range.