African Dwarf frog is now very bloated

animbella2

So my ADF is now very bloated, for those who are familiar with my other posts it is the same frog who lost his front arms. (he has adapted to his new life style very well!)However now he is very bloated and is very lazy. I have called multiple exotic vets in my area and no one really seems to care for ADF. I have added some salts, nothing too much because I heard they can hurt the frog if too much is added. My other ADF sam isnt bloated that I notice, however she is swimming more then usual and goes up to the top of the tank more, I dont know if this is because Dean is sick and she senses it or what. Dean and sam are 4.5 years old and have been in great health up until the past couple of months. I know that they are nearing the end of their life cycle but I want to do everything I can. I heard that you can try to drain fluid with a needles and I am not comfortable doing this by myself. I dont know if this is relevant but he has also is swollen around the head too, only the tip of his nose isnt bloated. Is there anything I can do, I heard alot about dropsy and how it usually doesn't end well, is this what Dean has? And if so how long before he dies? Thanks so much and any help is greatly appreciated.

Would you include a picture? Fasting in my experience has been my go to for signs of bloats in ADF. Just please know once bloat sets in recovery is kind of a dice roll with ADF.

What are the current water parameters? (see recommended posting at top disease forum)
How often are you feeding?
What have you been feeding?
Do you notice any hard spots on the frog, perhaps due to being impacted?
Do you know any sort of odd coloration? Particularly pink or red?

Edited by Ben_RF

So Sam is now acting a little strange, she swims alot and likes to attack the top of the water, almost likes shes trying to jump out, but she has shown no signs of swelling. As to answer your questions Ben-RF my water parameters are all with in the normal range and the PH level is a tad high but still shouldn't be causing any serious problem. I feed once a day at night time before I go to bed. I have tried feeding them blood worms for a while now but they dont seem to like it much and instead prefer regular fish food flakes. Yesterday I tried to feed them cooked green peas, they where taken out of their shell and were not cooked with any seasoning. I mixed them with some of the fish food and some of their treats. They didnt seem to interested in them, They kinda just sat there but when I woke up today they where gone so I dont know if the frogs ate it or the fish, Im hoping that Dean did. As for hard spots really dont see anything, I havent felt around yet but it looks as though it would be squishy. Sam has a little circle of like peach pink color thats new but it dosnt seem to be bothering her. I am starting Maracyn II later on as well as trying the pea thing again. I might add some aquarium salt to the mix but other then that I did not treat the water nor the frogs with anything yet.

• Like 1

So Sam has started to show some symptoms, she is not that bloated that I can tell but she is acting werid. She is swimming back and forth most of the night and she was having a hard time swimming periode yesterday. She has a large pink splotch on her right side of her stomach. Also Deanś skin around his stomach is now see through if you look at it at the right angle. Also Sam is still trying to  jump out of the water kinda of, either that or she is just trying to breath which is a possibilty.Has anyone ever drained fluid from an ADF? I have heard of people doing it and said it was easy but I am still a chicken cause I dont want to hurt Dean but at the same time he is SO bloated and he keeps just getting more bloated. From the reaserch I have done it seems unlikely that he will come back from this but is there anything I can do to make the transition easier on him and Sam? Thank you all again for your help!

So sam is having a hard time swimming, she has these white spots on her knees where I think the joint is. I dont know why, is it just because she is getting older or is it something in her bones or what? Also Dean is having a bit of a hard time breathing which honestly im not too surprised because of the amount of fluid he has in him, its all over him, definitely ALOT bigger then sam, and shes the female. Any ideas on getting the froggys better? Anything will help! Thanks!