Question/help

Connor Elliott

So I have been going through so much Trying to figure out what is wrong with my fish and so much frustration and I have never dealt with sick fish before because I am new and my sick Cory Dora which a while ago I noticed he wasn’t eating hade missing barbels and was acting lethargic I put him in a hospital tank with the other 2 as a preventative and after a while I noticed he was doing a lot better and eating and stuff so I put all three of them back in the main tank and I noticed that the betta was still picking at him instead of giving it time I impulsively decided he wasn’t ready for the main tank and put him back in the hospital and I am already medicating a platy that has a bacteria lesion looking thing on his side and all I noticed doing this just seemed to make it worse and it seemed his healing went back to square one I’ve been doing medicating and stuff for a week now and haven’t noticed improvement so I decided to put him back in the main tank so I guess I will see how he does but I don’t really know what to do anymore and I am still medicating the main tank for parasites so yea I don’t really know what to do so far this hobby has just brought me stress and anxiety and really nothing else

I have heard of bettas nipping at corydoras whiskers, that could be the issue. What are your water parameters? 

This is a tough hobby. Sometimes you need to take a break here and there to enjoy yourself. Or sometimes you need to downsize. But I encourage you to rise above these conflicts. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, James Black said:

I have heard of bettas nipping at corydoras whiskers, that could be the issue. What are your water parameters? 

This is a tough hobby. Sometimes you need to take a break here and there to enjoy yourself. Or sometimes you need to downsize. But I encourage you to rise above these conflicts. 

My parameters are PH: 7.4-7.6 

GH: 8.96

KH: 2.8

ammonia:0

nitrite:0

nitrate: 40-80

I'm doing a water change today 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, Cory said:

From selling an uncountable amount of corydoras and helping customers. I find the problem tends to be the food fed, not the substrate. Corydoras will dig past their eyeballs to get food that has fallen into cracks. Something like frozen blood worms stay on top of the substrate where something like a shrimp pellet breaks up and falls in between. Sand prevents things falling into it. However it's not that sand is magically. It's that it prevents the food problem.  So choosing the foods, and substrate when done with some forethought, is a winning combo for fish.

Here is what Cory said in the topic:

What are you feeding the corycats? Is it only one corydora with a missing barbel? It could be that perhaps that one corycat doesn't have enough food.

Do you have substrate in your hospital tank, if not it could explain why is barbels grow back because he isn't digging through all the substrate. Maybe just feed the corycats more, see if that helps.

What kind of substrate do you have in your display tank? gravel? sand?

15 minutes ago, James Black said:

What are you feeding the corycats? Is it only one corydora with a missing barbel? It could be that perhaps that one corycat doesn't have enough food.

Do you have substrate in your hospital tank, if not it could explain why is barbels grow back because he isn't digging through all the substrate. Maybe just feed the corycats more, see if that helps.

Thanks for sharing this BTW- There is a very interesting post that talks about cories' special body armor that helps them withstand Piranha bites. 

@Connor Elliott Though your water parameters seem "good", it seems you have a lot going on in your tank right now. Parasites, aggression, and strange bacterial lesions, to name a few. So, without seeming to know all the answers, here is something else to consider:

I think that even though overall water quality can be good, water quality down near the substrate can be "bad". So while it may be great advice to feed the Cory's more per @James Black, it also seems advisable to do more WC being sure to gravel vac to get rid of extra detritus and uneaten food.

Also, make sure the corys and other fish have plenty of hiding places away from the betta, and make sure the tank is big enough to house a betta with companions. Cory just did a video about this and his advice is about 20 gallons for a betta with tankmates. Perhaps this is the issue causing everything? One angry betta terrorizing everyone. 

For what it's worth, my betta didn't like friends even in 20 gallons.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, James Black said:

Lately I have been feeding shrimp pellets and algae wafers and it is only the one with completely missing barbels one started to loose his right side but I think I fixed that in the hospital tank I don’t have substrate in my hospital but I moved the one with no barbels back in the main tank and at least he is active and swimming with the others now my main tank has sand.

3 minutes ago, Connor Elliott said:

Lately I have been feeding shrimp pellets and algae wafers and it is only the one with completely missing barbels one started to loose his right side but I think I fixed that in the hospital tank I don’t have substrate in my hospital but I moved the one with no barbels back in the main tank and at least he is active and swimming with the others now my main tank has sand.

make sure the little guy is getting enough food

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cyndi said:

Thanks for sharing this BTW- There is a very interesting post that talks about cories' special body armor that helps them withstand Piranha bites. 

@Connor Elliott Though your water parameters seem "good", it seems you have a lot going on in your tank right now. Parasites, aggression, and strange bacterial lesions, to name a few. So, without seeming to know all the answers, here is something else to consider:

I think that even though overall water quality can be good, water quality down near the substrate can be "bad". So while it may be great advice to feed the Cory's more per @James Black, it also seems advisable to do more WC being sure to gravel vac to get rid of extra detritus and uneaten food.

Also, make sure the corys and other fish have plenty of hiding places away from the betta, and make sure the tank is big enough to house a betta with companions. Cory just did a video about this and his advice is about 20 gallons for a betta with tankmates. Perhaps this is the issue causing everything? One angry betta terrorizing everyone. 

For what it's worth, my betta didn't like friends even in 20 gallons.

Today I just did a water change and gravel vac for the most part I gravel vacuum when I do water changes so I’ll make sure I stay on top of it and the betta only goes after that one guy and nobody else hmm weird I read something about how fish will target a sick and weaker fish in this case he is the only one who is sick and weak maybe that has something to do with it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Black said:

make sure the little guy is getting enough food

I'm interested to see if this helps. I have to target feed my cories with sinking pellets in the morning and after lights-out. Still trying to figure out the exact proportions and I have no idea if it's enough. Currently I feed one less tablet per Cory in a 90 gallon.