Copper Alien Betta Breeding Journal

Daedalus

Placeholder post for now. Will add more info later.

Hi my name is Daedalus I'm breeding Copper Alien Bettas. I'm a new breeder with only 3 spawns. I breed Thai style so if you're uncomfortable with that style please proceed with caution. I write with terrible grammar and sentence structure. If you're uncomfortable with that proceed with extreme caution.

Feb 2nd: Received copper pair. Begin conditioning. Feeding scuds, moina and BugBites

Feb 6th: Prep spawning tank. 4.5gal tote filled to 3gal. Added loquat leaves, duckweed and pothos cuttings. Added rooibos tea for tannins. Taped a circular spawning cave to the wall. 50w heater

Feb 18th:  Release pair to tank.

Feb 20th: Spawn. It took two days, the male had problems learning to do the wrap but he finally got it. Only one nip on the female and one on male. Very non violent, easy pairing

Feb 23rd: Hatch. Can't see how many but looks to be a decent sized spawn. 

Feb 24: Added green water and infusoria culture to tank. Roughly half a cup. This is to cover for early hatchers/early free swimmers.

Feb 25th: First feed BBS TBD

March 10th: Partial water change. Remove male TBD

IMG_20210207_110501_resize_49.jpg

IMG_20210224_172028_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20210224_172429_resize_35.jpg

IMG_20210224_172453_resize_63.jpg

• Like 5

Just got a good look, the spawn is maybe 50 at best, closer to 30 babies. It seems the two days the male was trying figure out how to wrap the female resulted in many unfertilized eggs. I fed more infusoria today and a little bit of brine shrimp. My homemade brine hatcheries are doing great but I'm worried about fouling the water with such a small batch of fry's. I might keep feeding infusoria until they a little bigger. Nothing ever goes according to plan...

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

I took the male out but haven't done any water changes yet. I'll be adding fresh water today via drip to top off the bucket. My brine shrimps aren't hatching with much consistency, some batch go great then others won't hatch at all. Luckily I have lots of micro organisms in there for them to red off while I work out the kinks. Might need to buy fresh eggs

Here's one of the little aliens

spacer.png

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

Redid my DIY brine shrimp hatcheries. Everything is going well now☺️ The whole set up is battery powered. I also added some more scuds to my muck water dispenser jar. There's copepods, scuds and paramecium in there. I haven't changed the water in that jar for over a year. I just keep adding muck from my other tanks into it. It's my emergency food jar if the brine shrimp fails. Duckweed is amazing for raising scuds. I don't even have to feed them. The only input is a 14w LED bulb and periodic water top off. Easiest live food I've ever tried, they never crash like daphnia and adult brine shrimp tend to do if you neglect them.

IMG_20210307_095831.jpg

IMG_20210306_164803.jpg

IMG_20210306_164603.jpg

IMG_20210307_095908.jpg

Edited by Daedalus

Good luck with your fry! You have really lovely bettas. 

@OceanTruth, check out Goliad Farms on YouTube - he's got a video, maybe about 10 minutes or so, showing how he counts and bags up scuds. I was curious as I've never seen one either! It's hard to tell how big (small) they are but he estimated a thousand in the bag (and puts in hornwort for them to chow and hang on in transit).

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

@Maggie Yes I saw that! I’m so interested in them. They are like veggie piranhas. When he pulled out that hornwort and it was all chewed up by scuds my jaw dropped. They must demolish algae.

I keep really small fish at the moment, so I don’t want adult scuds to wipe out a planted tank. Lol. I’m dreaming of keeping slightly larger fish now, because of that vid. I’ve been watching other vids on scuds and adults look 1/2” maybe? 

5 hours ago, OceanTruth said:

Mine don't get much larger than 4-5mm's. The adult bettas gobble them all up. And they won't get a chance to reproduce in my betta tanks. I hav an idea for a mesh box in the aquarium with adult Scuds reproducing and then the babies could float through and then there'd be a constant supply of food for bigger fry you could feed them with live plants and then it'd be a recirculating mini ecosystem. I'm obsessed with trying to build a closed ecosystem

I just watched that Goliad Farms scud vid. It's amazing

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

There are small shrimp near Hawaii I believe that can live 20-30 years that they put into closed ecosystems but I think it could be done better with more variety. I’m ok with having to intervene sometimes but following what nature does on its own is inspiring. 

I look forward to any further updates. Those are cool fish. 

Edited by Cmike15
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'm starting from the bottom. I don't have any editing experience

The fish I ordered hasn't even shipped yet. The company has strict procedures they do before shipping(fasting etc).  Here's a vid of the fish. He should be here Tuesday, the spawn will be 3 weeks old on the same day

As for the spawn, there seems to be 3 or 4 belly sliders, they're not developing their swim bladder normally. Hopefully theyll get better when they get bigger. I'm not feeding them as much to try to fix the issue and I've turned off the sponge filter. There's some runts too but that's to be expected

IMG_20210313_081043.jpg

• Like 2

Welp, what should have been a great day is now a terrible one. My fish is DOA, what a waste of a beautiful fish and bloodline

Edit: this is my first DOA in my two years back in the hobby and its a super crappy feeling. I've ordered easily 500$ worth of bettas in that time. I need another male copper and a platinum white for the breeding project I want to do but now I'm kind of rethinking even ordering fish and having them shipped. This sucks

Edited by Daedalus
  • Sad 3

Got a few good pics ofy boy today. The babies are getting bigger and most grew out of their belly sliding but there's still 1 or 2 that are doing it. Did a partial water change last night and Tuesday will be their one month mark

IMG_20210320_144941.jpg

IMG_20210320_144828.jpg

• Like 2

Here the babies, these are the runty sliders, the bigger ones all look female. This whole brood seems like it's 75% female. Also, they're pretty dang aggressive, I've caught some of them locking jaws

IMG_20210325_195805.jpg

Edit: I feel like they're a bit undersized but I've never bred Aliens before so I'm not sure how big they should be at this point

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 2

This post might end up long. I'll explain my plans for the alien Bettas. I will be breeding the copper pair and my royal blue female to *try* and fund my main goal.

Lets talks about genetics.

Copper x Copper will breed true. The spawn will be 100% Copper Alien of varying tones and iridescence. 

Copper x Royal Blue can go two ways depending on if the Royal Blue is heterozygous or not. Here are two charts to show what the spawn might end up as.

IMG_20210327_191246.jpg

Or as this. So if I breed the copper to the royal blue and see colors other than steel blue and royal blue I will know I know I have a heterozygous royal blue female and can make more colors. If I don't the heterozygous steel blues from the previous punnet square will produce more coppers. 

IMG_20210327_191116.jpg

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

So I have two paths, one that results in more colors(blue, green, steel blue and copper) and another which will give me more coppers to work with. Either is not a problem for my Master Plan. What I want to end up with is a Golden Alien. From the original breeder of the first Gold plakat betta we know the recipe to make gold.

IMG_20210326_130556.jpg

Gold is basically a copper with white skin instead of black that makes copper look copper. I'm going to skip the copper red and do a copper x metallic green gold alien cross then select for the goldest of the bunch and keep them going. I have slotted 2 years to finish this plan. I fully expect to fail hahaha.

The goal is to get a gold that's a little darker than the gold plakat, like a 24k gold with iridescence. Gold plakat breeders fault iridescence in their lines but I like it, it makes the fish pop

I set up a new 3gal container for my second spawn of the same copper pair

IMG_20210327_213705.jpg

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 2