Anyone experienced with Seachem Tidal HOB filters (55/75/110)?

tk_yt

Hello!

I am looking to add a HOB filter to my tank, it's a 40 gallon breeder that is planted.  It's got 2 sponge filters on either corner already, but I wanted some additional filtration, and was looking at HOB filters.

I was about to get the AquaClear filter, when I came across the Seachem Tidal filters, which has the filter in front that can be submerged.  I actually prefer that so wanted to research more about it.  However, in all my searches, I did not find answers to these questions:

1.  For a 40 gallon tank, would a tidal 110 be better since I'll be able to put more media in it, or should I go with the default recommended size of using the Tidal 55?

2.  I see that the tidal filter has the skimmer intake, which I will not be able to add a sponge to like I can with the bottom intake.  Would the slits be too big in the tidal 110 that a neon tetra could be sucked in?  I have 10 neons in there right now and am worried about them getting sucked in

Thanks!

The "tank recommendations" on filters are not very accurate. They base these off a "rule" that your filter gph needs to be 5x your tank capacity. In following this rule, I always ended up buying filters that put out more flow than I wanted in my tank. The advice I received on this forum is that this rule is not accurate. I would try to find videos on people using the filter you are considering to get an idea of the flow they put out.

Customizing the filter media in the 55 will easily provide more biological and mechanical filtration than 2 sponge filters IMO.

As for the neons getting sucked in, I wouldn't be too concerned. Unless the fish is able to swim inside the intake, they are strong enough to swim free of any suction. Hope my comments help a little bit!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tk_yt said:

2.  I see that the tidal filter has the skimmer intake, which I will not be able to add a sponge to like I can with the bottom intake.  Would the slits be too big in the tidal 110 that a neon tetra could be sucked in?  I have 10 neons in there right now and am worried about them getting sucked in

I have the 35 which is the same but missing the downward tube.  If you pop the motor out (really easy) you can fill the void  behind the "skimmer" section with sponge (I used the coop sponge) to prefilter and keep fish, fry, and shrimp out. 

I've heard a lot of people say you can't prefilter this HOB but I think its because they lack imagination :).  You just have to do it differently.

EDIT: Here's seachem's instructions for disassembly of the 75 and 110.  after step 4 you should have access to the skimmer area where you can cram whatever you want in there to either close it off entirely or pre-filter it.  Its the same but 1 step faster for the 35 and hopefully the same for the 55.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022536073-FAQ-How-do-I-remove-the-impeller-of-the-Tidal-75-and-Tidal-110-filters-

Edited by CT_

I've long been a fan of the Aquaclear filters, but I also like the look of the Seachem Tidal by Sicce. For a 40g, I go with the Tidal 55. In spite of all of the lore, legends, and myths, good filtration is about how well we filter water, not how much or how fast we push water through media. Besides, filters only make water clearer, not any cleaner or more pure as trapped detritus continues to decay and pollute the water. 🙂

Got a few of them not too long ago. Very happy with them so far. I have always liked the bio-wheel on the Marineland and was hesitant to try something else. 

The only ding I'd give it is the smallest one (35) doesn't have an intake tube. It was too shallow for my needs. It's set aside right now. 

Very easy to clean and more room in the compartment. Easy to adjust the flow. I wouldn't say it was a homerun changing them, but I don't regret it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @JohnT!  I should have replied to this thread after all the feedback that I received here.

So actually in the end, I went with a canister filter.  What happened was, I purchased the Tidal 55 from amazon, and then kept thinking about whether or not I'd get enough filtration and water flow in the tank, so then I also purchased an Oase Filtosmart 200 canister filter at the same time.

When they both arrived, I took a look at both filters, and decided that I liked the additional space I get from the canister filter (and the fact I could hide the canister under the tank), so I never actually ended up installing the Tidal 55.  Sorry I couldn't really give you a review of my experience of it since I didn't use it.

I do enjoy the canister filter that I am using very much.  It's very easy to remove the hoses and runs really quiet.  I ended up putting in a ton of seachem matrix for the bio filter, and also coarse sponge layered with fine sponge and Seachem Purigen, and the water is really nice and clear.  

P.S., just because I found no information about this anywhere on the net.  I have a betta fish so I was initially concerned about too much flow from a canister filter.  I ended up getting a Glass lily pipe (shape of the pipe is named "Poppy"), and that worked amazing.  My betta was stressed with the common lily pipe, and when I changed it to Poppy, she swims very happily in the tank without any issues.

• Like 2

I thought I would love the tidal series but I hate them.  Over priced and too small to do much.   I hate the surface skimming. It makes feeding really hit or miss and becomes one extra thing to deal with.   I don't like aquaclear either but they are decent filters.  I have a 40 breeder and I feel my Aquaclear 50 is too small.  I also have to medium size sponge filters on either side.  

I personally love my tidals and think they offer many benefits such as the self priming, solid removable media basket and heater holder. I think the skimmer is more of a gimmick than anything personally. They also have a massive top section in the event it “overloads” it won’t cause a mess or worse drain your tank and flood your house.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:40 PM, Prochaska said:

I personally love my tidals and think they offer many benefits such as the self priming, solid removable media basket and heater holder. I think the skimmer is more of a gimmick than anything personally. They also have a massive top section in the event it “overloads” it won’t cause a mess or worse drain your tank and flood your house.

I just got my hands on a new tidal 75. I currently run a aquaclear 50 on my 29 gal community tank.  I have no complaints about the aquaclear other than sometime my flow gets reduced due to the sponges clogging or the impeller needing cleaning but that's easily rectified.  Your point about avoiding overflow is a very good one. I'm sitting here looking at it and I can't think of anyway this thing could  drain my tank or flood my house. Where as my aquaclear could (in theory) clog so bad that it causes overlfow.  My tank is on a dresser up against a wall. It water or anything else gets back there I have no access to recover it or even dry things out. So it's always been a concern.