Airline T splitters... help a dense person out

Jess

I'm trying to run air to both my tank and my BBS hatchery.  I thought this was a pretty simply endeavor: plug in Aquarium Co-op's AMAZING nano pump, then plug in two different outputs at the ends of the t splitter.  But air only comes out one side (down to the BBS hatchery).  I have checked that the valve is totally opened up....I clamped it all the way down and then opened it all the way up.  So it's not that.  Any clues?  Is it because one is lower than the USB nano pump and the other is higher, so it doesn't send air up?  Pictures below...I'm sorry they are pretty bad.

1. USB Nano connected to airline T splitter

image4.jpeg.f5e961bd68585b2ecbac0819e9517597.jpeg

2. One end of splitter goes into the tank:

image2.jpeg.b836313d52fd6d417f1dd3037b4ba08d.jpeg

3. Other end goes down to my BBS hatchery

image1.jpeg.612fff25396038e1385f44c975a15639.jpeg

Edited by Jess
clarification

1 hour ago, quirkylemon103 said:

which ever way has less pressure will get the air. so if you get a valve you can adjust which side is getting more air 

Agreed. You may need to put a valve down to the hatchery. Their general locations are I think less important than the overall resistance. The pressure in the little hatchery is likely much less than at the bottom

of your tank. I would think the pump should be powerful enough you just need to direct that power a bit better. 

• Like 1

I have a 4way gang valve with a single nano pump running my hatchery. It isn't the pump, it is the setup. You need valves.

Edit to add: I can run 3 brine hatcheries with room for a 4th, or 2 large sponge filters off one pump. You should have enough power.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I'd also add a couple check valves if you haven't already.  last thing you want to do is accidentally siphon your whole tank into the brine hatchery

this is important with any air pump. for the couple bucks a check valve costs, it is worth it to prevent the unintended draining of your tanks.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!  I had an extra Ziss valve lying around (came with the Ziss hatchery, ironically I wasn't using it LOL), so I hooked that up and now it works perfectly.  So, definitely the USB Nano pump can provide enough air at least to two lines, but you need a valve on each line.

Also added the check valve down to the hatchery.  Thanks for that reminder! 

• Like 3