Who is eating my plants?

cclaver

I recently ordered some plants form the Co-Op: Amazon Sword, Dwarf Sagittaria and Micro Sword.  All arrived in great shape!  However, since planting them the Micro Sword is nearly all gone and the Dwarf Sagittaria is clearly showing signs of being nibbled on.  The Amazon Sword is thriving.

I have a 60gal tank with 4 Denison Barbs, 1 Congo Tetra (looking for mates soon) and 1 golden bristle nose Plecostomus.

Question:  Who is eating my plants and what can I do?

I would really like to get a nice matt of foreground plants going.  But at this rate it isn't going to happen.  Also, open to suggestions for alternate plants as well.

Thanks!

Chuck

The Pleco would be the likely suspect number one in this scenario. Try providing some blanched lettuce, or some cucumber, or zucchini slices, or even just some algae wafers as a vegetarian alternative. They also love the Igapo Explorer Repashy food which Aquarium Co-Op has in stock.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1

Colu, quite a bit flakes get to the bottom initially.  But when I return to the tank 15-20 minutes later, the bottom is clean.  The Pleco is pretty shy and doesn't come out much if at all during the morning feeding.  So, I don't think it is the Pleco doing the clean up.